.NET GUI and App Builder GUI playing nicely.

Posted by Admin on 12-Jul-2010 03:17

Hi all, hope this is in the right section.

I have an application that started out in Progress 7 and has developed over the years through 8, 9 and now to 10.

It starts a main WINDOW and then a number of "Child" windows which are  set to WINDOW-SUPPRESS and so they just display FRAMES within the parent  window in an MDI style.

I need to move the application on and find a way of making my existing  screens/code play nicely with v10 .NET screens without having to rewrite  the whole application at once.

So far not much luck.

Is there a way of making a App Builder progress window an MDI child of a OE Architect .NET "Menu" screen?

If not, is there a way of doing a SUPPRESS-WINDOW on an OE Architect .NET window and calling that from my App Builder Menu.w?

The idea being to add new screens to the existing application and make  use of the new functionality without having to take a year out and  rewrite the whole user interface from scratch.

In a similar vein, the existing app makes a lot of use of SHARED  variables  but classes cannot see these which makes calling the legacy  code impossible from classes.

Is the a way of getting the OE Architect to generate straight .w screens rather than Classes?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Derek Harrison
Technical Director
Pursuit Software Ltd.

All Replies

Posted by Wouter Dupré on 12-Jul-2010 03:19

Hi, I'm out of the office on vacation. During my absence I will have no access to my e-mail.

For immediate assistance please call our office at +32 (0) 15 30 77 00.

Best regards,

Wouter.

--

Wouter Dupré

Senior Solution Consultant

Progress Software NV

Stocletlaan 202 B| B-2570 Duffel | Belgium

Direct Line +32 (0) 15 30 77 00 | Mobile +32 (0) 478 50 00 49

wdupre@progress.com

Posted by Admin on 12-Jul-2010 04:19

Hi all, hope this is in the right section.

It certainly is!

It starts a main WINDOW and then a number of "Child" windows which are  set to WINDOW-SUPPRESS and so they just display FRAMES within the parent  window in an MDI style.

A .w file defined with suppress window, actually just builds a FRAME at runtime. The window is just required for the AppBuilder. This was required in V7 before the AppBuilder had support for SmartObject development.

I need to move the application on

Any idea where you need to move to? Is "putting lipstick" on the pig what you are looking for?

and find a way of making my existing  screens/code play nicely with v10 .NET screens without having to rewrite  the whole application at once.Is there a way of making a App Builder progress window an MDI child of a OE Architect .NET "Menu" screen?

Check the GUI for .NET documentation about embedding ABL windows into .NET windows and making them MDI children.

If not, is there a way of doing a SUPPRESS-WINDOW on an OE Architect .NET window and calling that from my App Builder Menu.w?

I'm not seeing where that would help? But I'm convinced that to put lipstick on the pig, the menu should become a .NET menu first! There is no other screen that you can be sure of, that the user sees it every day. Thus the biggest improvement in impression.

The idea being to add new screens to the existing application and make  use of the new functionality without having to take a year out and  rewrite the whole user interface from scratch.

Cool.

In a similar vein, the existing app makes a lot of use of SHARED  variables  but classes cannot see these which makes calling the legacy  code impossible from classes.

SHARED or GLOBAL SHARED? They are a mess. And certainly (without doing a lot of refactoring) adding procedures that are called by classes is the only way to solve the issue. In the mid-term (with a little bit of refactoring) moving all GLOBAL SHARED to STATIC properties of a "SessionManager" or "SessionContext" class is a good starting point. That makes them type-safe and accessible by classes and procedures. Furthermore you may introduce validation and session wide events when they change.

Is the a way of getting the OE Architect to generate straight .w screens rather than Classes?

The Visual Designer? No! But you can code the .NET UI also from procedures. But that's a manual task. Another way would be to use a .p that starts every class instance and passes the required SHARED variables as properties or parameters in the constructor. It all depends on where and how often these variables are changed.

Any help would be much appreciated.

You may also find my Exchange Online 2010 presentation about GUI for .NET adoption strategies interesting. That's the kind of questions I'm dealing with.

On http://www.consultingwerk.de/index.php?id=209&L=1 I've posted some screenshots from an application that also uses suppressed windows and is not embedded into an MDI container/.NET Forms.

This thread is closed