Cannot design .rpt file in Crystal Reports 2008 if table nam

Posted by Admin on 09-Aug-2010 23:00

I have a progress table having name such as "sales-report'.

I am using Crystal Reports 2008 to design the *.rpt file.

When I make the ODBC conenction, I can see teh table name but when I add it to my report it doesn't add up and I can not add the fields to report and report designer crashes.

However If i change the name of the progress table from "sales-report" to  "SalesReport" everything works fine...

Any suggestions ??

Arain

All Replies

Posted by Matt Baker on 10-Aug-2010 07:46

dash (-) in most languages is taken as a minus sign.  And it is not normally allowed in tables and fields accessible from SQL.  In most cases you can wrap the field name in quotes and the SQL driver will then accept the whole field as a string literal.

Posted by Roger Blanchard on 10-Aug-2010 07:49

Mathew is correct. We had the same issue as the person who designed our DB many years ago used dashes, pounds symbols, etc. and we had to put quotes around the field names as well.

Posted by Admin on 10-Aug-2010 15:53

If I were writing the code in C# or someother language then I 'd have used the quotes around table and field names. I am not sure where i have to use quotes in my scenario. Here are the details. I am using Crystal reports 2008 to design the *.rpt file. CR 2008 is using ODBC to read the data dictionary so that I can add the tables and design my report. Please go through the screenshots   crystal1... crystal4.jpg. I have added comments to explain my problem.

Interesting thing is that the same was working in Crystal 9.  as it was able to read the data dictionary tables having hyphen in their names.

If i change the table names by removing hyphens then the reports developed in CR 9 and other parts of application will not work.

thanks in advance..

Arain

Please browse through the screen shots and read the comments  in following order..

crystal1.jpg

crystal2.jpg

crystal3.jpg

crystal4.jpg

Posted by Matt Baker on 11-Aug-2010 07:39

I'm not familiar with crystal reports at all so the only advice I could offer would be to either write the reports by hand instead of using the wizard so you can add quotes in the code.  If that is not possible, then you would need to report the bug to makers of Crystal Reports and/or change your database to use industry accepted SQL practices (which means remove the dashes and replace them with underscores) and fix up everything else.

Posted by maximmonin on 11-Aug-2010 11:07

It is common sql92 problem.

You have to use select "tablename"."field-name" sysntax to make query to progress db in this case.

It crystal reports cannot do it there is easy way to fix it on DB level.

create sql-92 view in progress DB.

like:

create view MyTable (field1, field2) AS

select "field-1", "field-2" from

"My-Table";

commit;

Posted by bdearborn on 11-Aug-2010 18:25

One option would be to check out www.cornerstar.com. We can do Crystal like

reports while using a native Progress connection.

Feel free to contact us with any questions.

On Wed, Aug 11, 2010 at 5:39 AM, Matthew Baker <

Posted by Admin on 12-Aug-2010 08:23

I have applied service packs 01, and 02 of Crystal Reports 2008 and it appears to have solved the problem of tables having Hyphen in their names. However there is another problem that it appends "1" to the name of table if the progress table name doesn't have any hyphens in their names.. such as    MyTable becomes MyTable1 ...  But My-Table stays as My-Table.

Since all of my progress tables have "hyphen" in their names so my problem is solved by applying service pack 01 and 02 of Crystal Reports 2008.

thanks again.. to all of you for your suggestions.

arain

Posted by Admin on 12-Aug-2010 08:35

As far as i know cornerstar  needs to redesign the application using Appserver and the whole report front end is a .NET WINFORM application application entirely written in C#. Thanks for the suggestion but cornerstar is a costly option ... and needs too much rework to the existing application.

Posted by Admin on 12-Aug-2010 08:40

As far as i know cornerstar  needs to redesign the application using Appserver and the whole report front end is a .NET WINFORM application application entirely written in C#. Thanks for the suggestion but cornerstar is a costly option ... and needs too much rework to the existing application.

Sounds like using a technical forum for selling a product can be dangerous

Posted by bdearborn on 13-Aug-2010 18:05

Hi,

It is true that we connect natively to Progress through an Appserver and the

front end is written in C# but no redesign is necessary as we simply use

4GL.

Compared to any other reporting tool Aurora is affordable but I can

understand if you have already put time into your existing methodology.

On Thu, Aug 12, 2010 at 6:35 AM, Aqa Arain

This thread is closed