Has *anyone* got the UltraWinChart to work? With a table ty

Posted by ChUIMonster on 25-Feb-2009 14:08

Has anyone actually managed to get a simple UltraWinChart to work? In particular a line chart using a temp table organized something like this for its data:

label01 5 12

label02 10 45

label03 15 78

label04 20 25

lable05 25 14

I would expect to see 2 lines -- one with a constant upward slope and the other going up and then down.

How hard can it be?!?

I am either completely missing the point at some very fundamental level or this thing simply does not work.

I'm willing to believe the former but I'd find it more credible if someone would stand up and say, "Sure, I created a line chart in 3 minutes! No problem at all!".

The samples provided in the PSC documentation are a) focused on eye candy like 3d rotation and other frivolities and b) /seem/ to not actually use a table (or temp-table) for a binding source but rather convert the data to a fixed array (but I can't actually figure out what the heck that code is doing).

The IF documentation keeps saying that it is easy but their examples are awfully vague. The IF forums whip-saw between tantalizing hints and ominous pronouncements with fragments of code that don't actually provide a simple working example.

All Replies

Posted by Håvard Danielsen on 25-Feb-2009 14:12

No one has been able to make it work with a ProBindingSource.

I'm attaching a form with the temp-table and query from your other posting, but I replaced the ProBindingSource DataSource with a DataTable.

[View:~/cfs-file.ashx/__key/communityserver-discussions-components-files/19/MyChartForm.cls:550:0]

Message was edited by:

replaced the ProBindingSource...

Havard Danielsen

Posted by Peter Judge on 25-Feb-2009 14:20

frivolities and b) /seem/ to not actually use a table

(or temp-table) for a binding source but rather

convert the data to a fixed array (but I can't

actually figure out what the heck that code is

doing).

This is the important bit - the Infragistics controls don't work with a ProBindingSource, so you have to use a .NET DataTable. Or a ArrayList or something equally non-ABL.

This is true of at least the 2008.1 version of the controls; later versions do support the ProBindingSource and it's fellow IBindingList implementers.

-- peter

Posted by ChUIMonster on 25-Feb-2009 14:27

Is this considered a "feature"? Or is it a bug?

I'm not very well versed in the versioning of these things nor what the implications are regarding who didn't implement what are in your comment -- although it seems like you might be saying that Infragistics didn't implement something that was needed?

Posted by Peter Judge on 25-Feb-2009 14:36

Is this considered a "feature"? Or is it a bug?

I'd consider it a bug. I suspect Infragistics did too, and that's why they fixed it.

I'm not very well versed in the versioning of these

things nor what the implications are regarding who

didn't implement what are in your comment -- although

it seems like you might be saying that Infragistics

didn't implement something that was needed?

The OE 10.2A UltraControls are version 2008.1 of the Infragistics controls. I'd think that later versions of OE will have later versions of the Infragistics controls, although I have no idea of how the Infragistics and OE release cycles mesh, nor which version will ship with which version nor anything like that.

-- peter

Posted by ChUIMonster on 25-Feb-2009 14:44

Ok.....

So what does that boil down to? Is this bug fixed in some version of Progress that is available to mere mortals? Or am I doomed to using the DataTable kludge?

Posted by Thomas Mercer-Hursh on 25-Feb-2009 14:46

Seems that what Peter is saying is that you need a later version of the Infragistics controls, not a later version of Progress.

Posted by Peter Judge on 25-Feb-2009 14:51

Seems that what Peter is saying is that you need a

later version of the Infragistics controls, not a

later version of Progress.

Precisely.

-- peter

Posted by ruan007 on 22-Dec-2010 23:24

I think there is a bug in OpenEdge too, the proBindingSource doesn't work on the new .NET Chart control. please refer to http://communities.progress.com/pcom/thread/35193

This thread is closed