Binding source reading "wrong" database

Posted by jmls on 06-Feb-2012 13:30

v11 , windows

I have two projects in OEA, which are different branches of the same "product". Only one of these is open, "the address version".

The database for this version is different from the "standard" version.

The data dictionary points to the right database. the sql / intellisense seems to be pointing to the right database (sql properties are right, and the new tables are showing in the editor and db structure tab)

however, if I go the bindingsource designer, and select the DB option, I get a list of tables from the "standard" version of the database (the new tables are missing, and old (removed in "address") tables are showing)

what gives ? Where can I fix this ?

All Replies

Posted by Thomas Mercer-Hursh on 06-Feb-2012 13:42

Have you looked at the AVM startup messages?   The SQL connection is separate from the AVM connection and so can be pointed at different places.

Posted by jmls on 06-Feb-2012 13:44

yeah - the "normal" sql connection tests ok (test connection button) and uses the same port as the 4gl database connection, so I know that this is ok, and is confirmed by the stuff showing in the editor.

It's the bindingsource designer that seems to be getting it's knickers in a twist

Posted by Admin on 06-Feb-2012 13:47

the sql / intellisense seems to be pointing to the right database (sql properties are right, and the new tables are showing in the editor and db structure tab)

I assume that intellisense is not dependent on the JDBC connection. It must use the ABL connection because it works also when you are NOT using the JDBC at all.

Did you try the Window -> Preferences: OpenEdge Architect -> Advanced -> Cache Managerment -> Refresh Now Button?

Posted by Admin on 06-Feb-2012 13:48

It's the bindingsource designer that seems to be getting it's knickers in a twist

I'd bet that the BindingSource Designer is getting the schema from the ABL connection of the Designer's project.

Or you usign a Shared AVM? In that case the BindingSource Designer is expected (by me) to use the DB connection of the Shared AVM - when the project is member of the Shared AVM.

Posted by jmls on 06-Feb-2012 13:52

No, I don't used a shared avm

Posted by jmls on 06-Feb-2012 13:53

Yes, I had already tried refreshing

Attached a picture of the problem - in the DB tab, you see the "expected" database structure, press the "probinding source designer" and get the "wrong" db structure.

The abl is using the "right" database, as is the database tab.

Posted by Admin on 06-Feb-2012 13:57

jmls schrieb:

Yes, I had already tried refreshing

Attached a picture of the problem - in the DB tab, you see the "expected" database structure, press the "probinding source designer" and get the "wrong" db structure.

The abl is using the "right" database, as is the database tab.

When the Form in the Designer is part of the "right" project, this is more than stange...

Now I know, why we've built our own Schema Editor for the ProBindingSource ;-)

Posted by Thomas Mercer-Hursh on 06-Feb-2012 13:58

But, what have you done to verify that the AVM is connected to the right database?

E.g., if you write a one line program that references tables only in the right database, does it compile?

Posted by Admin on 06-Feb-2012 13:59

Just for the sake of it: Did you restart OpenEdge Architect already?

Did you try the same DB's / project config in a new, fresh workspace?

Posted by jmls on 06-Feb-2012 13:59

meh. I stopped the server on the "wrong" database, and then refreshed the project.

It now reads the right database.

go figure

Posted by jmls on 06-Feb-2012 14:00

mikefe wrote:

Just for the sake of it: Did you restart OpenEdge Architect already?

Did you try the same DB's / project config in a new, fresh workspace?

#1 yes

#2 no - fixed it - see previous posting

Posted by jmls on 06-Feb-2012 14:01

tamhas wrote:

But, what have you done to verify that the AVM is connected to the right database?

E.g., if you write a one line program that references tables only in the right database, does it compile?

yes, it does compile. It's only the binding source editor that seems to have the problem. Although it's now fixed - see other posts

This thread is closed