Visual designer cannot load this class

Posted by gdb390 on 06-Feb-2012 04:44

Hi,

I get the following error when loading a class into the visual designer :

VISUAL DESIGNER CANNOT LOAD THIS CLASS

An exception occured when loading the design canvas: Lead attributes in a chained-attribute expression (a:b:c) must be type HANDLE or a user-defined type and valid(not UNKNOWN). (10068)

How can I figure out where in the code it's blocking ? Is there logfile of visual designer where I can find out !

the code compiles, the program runs without problems.

kind regards

Gerd

All Replies

Posted by Matt Baker on 06-Feb-2012 09:26

This is an ABL error message.   It indicates there is a problem with the ABL code you have written.  I would start by looking in the super class of whatever .cls file won't open for lines that won't execute properly in a design environment (appserver calls and such).  Also check any user controls you are using to ensure they can operate properly in a design environment.  The visual designer instantiates the super class and then executes the initializeComponent statement of the form one at a time.  You'll need to make sure all the code that is being called is written properly for a design environment.

There may be more details in the log file /.metadata/.log.  Makes sure you are using the -errorstack startup parameter with the project's AVM session so that full stack information is returned.

Posted by nacharya on 06-Feb-2012 10:12

Hi Gerd,

This issue happens when we create a form with multiple inheritance.

In 10.2A, this issue was found with multiple inherited forms, and was fixed in 10.2A itself.

Can you tell us the following information:

- Which version of OpenEdge Architect are you using

- the specific steps that you followed. (so that we will try to reproduce this issue in our testing environment.)

- can you attach the .log file after reproducing issue?

Thanks

Nrusingha

Posted by Shelley Chase on 06-Feb-2012 10:35

Also the Visual Designer works by NEWing the Super Class of your ABL form - it uses the public default (no parameters) constructor. Check and make sure that your super class does not require any information passed in on a parameterized constructor because it will not have it from the Visual Designer.

-Shelley

Posted by gdb390 on 10-Feb-2012 09:17

Hello,

I have been investigating this.

The progress version I'm using is 10.2B SP 4

I'm still looking to see which code could be the cause.

In attachment the logfile I suprisingly found in working directory of 10.2A ... (probably a setting I misplaced when starting up the architect)

[View:~/cfs-file.ashx/__key/communityserver-discussions-components-files/19/.log.zip:550:0]

kind regards

gerd

This thread is closed