Hosting an Ultragrid in a non .net 4GL Window.

Posted by saquib on 06-Sep-2012 07:39

Hi,

It would be really useful as part of a slow migration from non .NET to .NET components to be able to have an Ultragrid available to display data in a standard 4GL frame/window. Is this possible and if so how?

Many Thanks,

Saquiib.

All Replies

Posted by Admin on 06-Sep-2012 07:47

Is this possible and if so how?

Yes - we use that as part of our WinKit utility.

You need to start using Embedded ABL Windows and put the UltraGrid in the same .NET Form as the Progress.Windows.WindowContainer that hosts the window.

This is a simple screenshot showing it: http://www.consultingwerk.de/uploads/pics/Browser_Window.png

I'll be presenting the WinKit later this month here: http://csbi-progress.ru/?p=525

Posted by saquib on 06-Sep-2012 08:10

Thanks for that Mike.

How do the two different component types "talk" to each other. For instance, in the scenario you describe, how do standard ABL buttons affect behaviour of the grid and actions in the grid affect ABL components?

Posted by Admin on 06-Sep-2012 08:27

How do the two different component types "talk" to each other. For instance, in the scenario you describe, how do standard ABL buttons affect behaviour of the grid and actions in the grid affect ABL components?

You have to code that.

I assume your classic ABL GUI is realized from procedures. Procedures can start .NET objects, subscribe to events and invoke methods of the .NET object.

Posted by saquib on 23-Nov-2012 02:39

Hi,

Can I just clarify this?

I have a procedure (.p) that calls a .NET form. That form has a Progress window container that embeds an ABL window that contains fields for filtering a search.

The .NET form also has a .NET Ultragrid that will display the search results.

I'd like the user to be able to enter search criteria in the ABL section, have a procedure fetch the results and display them in the Grid.

Are there any code examples I can look at that would enable me to code the "search" functionality?

Thanks,

Saquib.

Posted by Admin on 23-Nov-2012 08:57

Are there any code examples I can look at that would enable me to code the "search" functionality?

Have a look at the data binding sample in the OpenEdge GUI for .NET reference. That's pretty complete.

Posted by saquib on 23-Nov-2012 09:05

Apologies. I meant code examples of communicating between the ABL window and the .NET form and grid and vice-versa.

I know that the .NET form can make calls to the ABL .w procudures via the RUN ProcedureName IN HANDLE (e.g. RUN EnableUI in hWin ) but is it possible to have the .w make calls to the .NET form and grid?

In a previous reply you made references to how this may be done?

Sorry, if I haven't explained myself too well :-)

Thanks.

Saquib.

This thread is closed