Custom column filter behaviour in an ultragrid

Posted by saquib on 08-Jan-2013 02:50

Hi,

I have a requirement to overlay a text editor field over a column header (the user can hide or show these) and when the the user types into the editor the grid results are filtered as each character is entered.

I can do this for a grid where the columns are fixed as I simply overlay the text fields in the design view to match the fixed grid column widths and positions.

The problem I have now is that the columns in this grid can be resized and moved and I'm not sure how to get the text fields to stay over their respective column headers.

Is there an easy way of doing this or is there a better solution altogether?

Many thanks,

Saquib.

P.S. I've attached word document showing what I've currently got for a fixed column set-up.

[View:~/cfs-file.ashx/__key/communityserver-discussions-components-files/19/Columnfilter.docx:550:0]

All Replies

Posted by Admin on 08-Jan-2013 02:52

You should read up the documentation for the UltraGrid's own filter UI. That might save you a lot of time.

Posted by rbf on 08-Jan-2013 03:05

The ultragrid *does* provide a FilterRow that you can activate and appears to achieve what you want, check the docs and the design wizard.

However we found we could not use it since focus actually moves from the data row to the filter row. This creates problems if your ultragrid has any children.

So we created our own external filters.

P.S. There is also an option to put filters on your headers that you might want to investigate.

Posted by saquib on 08-Jan-2013 03:11

Thanks for your reply Mike.

Unfortunately the customer has seen the existing functionality described in my post and detailed in the word doc and very much want the same functionality for a grid with movable and re-sizeable columns.

I know I can get the width of a column but do you know if I can get its location too, in order to overlay a text editor?

I looked at the grid's filter UI as you suggested and it does look very powerful.

Thanks,

Saquib.

This thread is closed