-nb parameter exceeded error

Posted by MBeynon on 30-Jul-2013 08:56

Hi,

I have a utility class which contains static methods. One of these is recursive and accepts a form object and drills down the form's child components to identify any ultragrids.

This works fine until I have two instances of the same screen running that uses this utility class.

When running the process (that identifies the grids) runs in the second open screen I get the -nb (nested buffers) exceeded error.

I believe this error could be avoided if my recursive method was not static as I think that the static method is accumulating the nested buffers count for the two screens.

Also, this error does not occur when running the process in one screen multiple times.

Finally, I know I could just increase th -nb start up parameter but I'd rather fix my code if possible.

Anyone have any ideas on this one?

Thanks,

Mark.

All Replies

Posted by cverbiest on 30-Jul-2013 09:10

Hi Mark,

-nb stands for nested blocks, not nested buffers. Once your method call returns these are freed.

The stack trace should give you an idea where and how deep the calls are nested.

add -debugalert to your startup parameters to see get the help button which shows the stack trace.

Regards

Carl

Posted by MBeynon on 30-Jul-2013 09:23

Hi,

Sorry, yes I meant nested blocks and I have a stack trace available:

--> GetChildComponents DotNetUtils (S:\Common\dev\rcode\DotNetUtils.r) at line 224
    GetChildComponents DotNetUtils (S:\Common\dev\rcode\DotNetUtils.r) at line 272
    GetGridsInParentForm DotNetUtils (S:\Common\dev\rcode\DotNetUtils.r) at line 429
    GetGridsInParentForm GenericEmbeddedABLFormSingleGrid ...\GenericEmbeddedABLFormSingleGrid.r) at line 778
    GridViewList contnqwm.w (S:\Gold\v5Dev\rcode\contnqwm.r) at line 27216

This thread is closed