GUI testing

Posted by Riverside Software on 06-Nov-2011 14:54

Hello all,

During our meeting in Boston, some of you mentioned GUI testing tools. As I'm not able to find any name in my notes anymore, I'd like to know if anybody could share useful and/or useless tools you're using to test user interfaces.

Thanks a lot !

Gilles QUERRET

Riverside Software

All Replies

Posted by franchiset on 14-Nov-2011 10:17

Gilles,

One popular GUI testing tool is TestComplete(TM):

http://smartbear.com/products/qa-tools/automated-testing/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TestComplete

Carl Pritchard

Franchise Technologies, Inc.

Posted by Riverside Software on 17-Nov-2011 16:13

Hello Carl,

Thanks for your answer. Are you using it actively ? And if so, are there any problem to run it on an ADM1/ADM2 application ?

Gilles

Posted by Peter Mellow on 21-Nov-2011 13:15

We use QuickTestPro for testing some of our ABL GUI. It doesn't work with the browser as we build the cells up ourselves and the tool can't deal with that.

Peter

Posted by franchiset on 22-Nov-2011 13:59

Gilles,

We don't use it yet, but it is on our roadmap for implementation. I believe other Progress users have successfully used TestComplete(TM). It is my understanding that it should work with any Windows app, subject to feature limitations depending on how the app is written. I believe there is a 30 day evaluation version available for download.

One enhancement Progress made several years ago in OpenEdge was to add a WIDGET-ID attribute to .w window objects (e.g. buttons). (I don't know what the .NET GUI equivalent attribute might be). Referencing this attribute would allow testing tools to "click" the desired button based on WIDGET-ID rather than based on the button's physical placement on the screen. In the event the button were moved, the testing tool would still be able to access the button because it references it by its WIDGET-ID and not its location. At least that is my understanding of how a testing tool would work to exercise an app to simulate a real user's use thereof.

Carl Pritchard

Franchise Technologies, Inc.

This thread is closed