Need some kind of code breakdown

Posted by Tim Kuehn on 18-Dec-2007 07:47

The current Code Share area doesn't have any breakdown of what the code does or is used for, it's just a dumping ground of submissions and the user has to do a lot of looking to find what they're after.

Now, if the submissions were put into categories, or could have tags of some kind associated with them, that would help people find the code they're after with less hassle.

All Replies

Posted by adaltas on 18-Dec-2007 09:08

I agree. What simple set of categories would work for you?

Posted by Tim Kuehn on 18-Dec-2007 09:26

I really couldn't say as I haven't looked over all the code submissions.

What's in www.oehive.org's categories may be a good place to start though.

Posted by Thomas Mercer-Hursh on 18-Dec-2007 11:12

Thanks, Tim, for the pointer to OE Hive. Note that the categorization there allows for multiple classifications for the same item. We try to keep that down, but it is certainly appropriate for some things.

Frankly, I think that the hivemap that Jurjen worked up is also a whole lot better than simply drilling down through links as is typical of the PSDN library classifications. With the latter, I find myself drilling down several layers and then discovering it wasn't the right place and having to back up and try again, most often resorting to search because I can't find what I want. With the hivemap, though, I usually can find what I am looking for rather quickly.

Note to that Drupal provides a nice service in that when one clicks on a category page, one gets a list of everything in the category with a short paragraph, so that works when one isn't sure what one is looking for.

I do wonder what a code share forum is going to add. The large headers are taking up a lot of real estate on the top page and it seems that all one can expect here is an announcement of something new, which is easily obtained by an RSS feed on code share. If there is some discussion about a new submission, it would really be better done in the appropriate topical forum, not here.

Posted by Alon Blich on 18-Dec-2007 11:14

Get folks from the community involved.

Frankly theres a long list of features needed in PSDN and frankly even the smallest changes take too long (even something like the "remember me on this computer" is still in debate). I think that's the biggest reason people stopped asking for new ones

Getting people from the community involved will go a long way to help in those areas and I believe make it more responsive to changes. Not mention that if we had a part in this place it will make us feel more at home.

I also think that Progress should make a very conscious effort to stay clear from competing with their own users. They should grow a community and services around their product and not the opposite.

Personally it feels like Progress had a look at PEG and ProgressTalk and then put together their own version and now this looks alot like the Hive. I'd prefer they do something unique. Mostly the Web Events which are fantastic.

How about hosting for a watered down version of WebSpeed Ya, right. Like Progress would ever do something like that. What was I thinking

If you don't feel the same way I'd be interested to open this discussion.

Posted by bbe on 18-Dec-2007 16:50

Posted by Thomas Mercer-Hursh on 18-Dec-2007 17:01

Thereby illustrating the problem with a code share forum ...

Posted by bbe on 18-Dec-2007 17:02

"Get folks from the community involved."

yes please, how can you help me? http://www.psdn.com/library/forum.jspa?forumID=9

"Frankly theres a long list of features needed in PSDN and frankly even the smallest changes take too long (even something like the "remember me on this computer" is still in debate). I think that's the biggest reason people stopped asking for new ones"

That's not good, tell me more on http://www.psdn.com/library/forum.jspa?forumID=9

Posted by bbe on 18-Dec-2007 17:04

I am missing the point. Let's talk about code share here and other improvements here

Posted by Thomas Mercer-Hursh on 18-Dec-2007 17:11

My point was that other than just announcements, which are already well served by the RSS feed, any discussion of any substance which occurs on a code share forum should almost certainly be occurring in another forum which is appropriate to the topic. That way, the people who are interested will see it and participate, where they might not here, and anyone looking for the topic will be more likely to find it.

This thread is closed