Barcode Generation guidance

Posted by Admin on 21-Sep-2009 15:56

All,

I need some help creating a simple program that accepts a variable and outputs a barcode to a stream. Here's what I've found so far on the subject:

I'm using an HP lasterjet printer, I send the font to the printer before hand.

I'm using code 128.

I don't need the check digit as I'm just passing a variable for a report, nothing needs validated.

It seems like it should be as simple as sending the font and passing the variable but that isn't the case. I can get a barcode to generate but it won't scan.

Any push in the right direction is helpful!

All Replies

Posted by Thomas Mercer-Hursh on 21-Sep-2009 16:30

The first "push" I would make is to suggest you post in the ABL forum since the purpose of this forum is to share code you have written with others.

The generic answer is that you need to send a control sequence to the printer to tell it to change fonts.  You may need the check digit regardless of whether you are going to pay any attention to it because it may be part of a well-formed code ... I don't remember for 128.

Posted by andrew.thornton@redprairie.com on 22-Sep-2009 06:52

Hi, It might not be exactly what you want, but we use Crystal Reports for our reporting. To get a code 128 barcode into a Crystal Report we purchased a font and a dll to implement the barcode calculation into Crystal. We've actually used two different fonts - one from ID Automation and a significantly cheaper option from Dobsonsw (http://freebarcodefonts.dobsonsw.com/) - it cost us $75 for a developer licence. With this installed you basically just feed a string into the Code128 barcode function in Crystal, and then select the font for the size of barcode you require.

Thanks, Andrew.

Posted by wilsifew on 23-May-2013 02:31

Share some useful barcode generation guidance with you all: guide of barcode creation in VB.NET and guide of barcode data encoding in VB.NET.

Posted by arronlee on 10-Jun-2014 01:54

[quote user="wilsifew"]

Share some useful barcode generation guidance with you all: guide of barcode creation in VB.NET and guide of barcode data encoding in VB.NET.

[/quote]

Hi, Wilsifew.

Thanks for your sharing. As for me, I am also testing the related excel barcode add-in these days. Do you have any ideas about it? Or any good suggestion? Thanks in advance.

Best regards,
Arron

Posted by blichal on 11-Jun-2014 13:02

The free DocxFactory project supports all the major 1D barcodes straight out of the box.

You might want to have a look at the OpenEdge ABL tutorial.

I've attached a sample from the tutorial.

Posted by Richard.Kelters on 13-Jun-2014 13:06

We've implemented an open source .NET control to produce qrcodes which also support some barcodes, check http://zxingnet.codeplex.com/ . It produces images which you can add to a document. Of course you're restricted to windows. If you or anyone is interested I can post some sample code.

This thread is closed