Fast DB growing

Posted by AFranz on 06-Feb-2019 09:46

Hi all,

One of our partners tells us, that one database area is growing very fast. Is there a (more or less) easy way to find out, which table is growing? This would give us a hint, what’s going wrong in that installation.

We’re using OpenEdge 11.7.4 in mixed mode (64 bit DB / AppServer, 32 bit Client).

Apology for the possible beginner question, but I’m a developer and not so familiar with stuff like that.

Kind regards

Andreas

Posted by James Palmer on 06-Feb-2019 10:01

The best way I can think of would be to do a dbanalys on that area.

proutil [dbname] -C dbanalys area [areaname] -csoutput

Then run it again in 24 hours or so, and compare the record counts to obtain a candidate list.

More info on dbanalys is here: documentation.progress.com/.../index.html

I'd make sure to run it out of normal business hours as it can have an impact on performance.

All Replies

Posted by James Palmer on 06-Feb-2019 10:01

The best way I can think of would be to do a dbanalys on that area.

proutil [dbname] -C dbanalys area [areaname] -csoutput

Then run it again in 24 hours or so, and compare the record counts to obtain a candidate list.

More info on dbanalys is here: documentation.progress.com/.../index.html

I'd make sure to run it out of normal business hours as it can have an impact on performance.

Posted by AFranz on 06-Feb-2019 11:01

Great, that's what I'm looking for..

Posted by George Potemkin on 06-Feb-2019 12:08

Since version 11.6 the best (the faster = instant) way is proutil db -C viewB2

Posted by Rob Fitzpatrick on 11-Feb-2019 15:10

This could be a case of a table that was added to an area intended for indexes.  If the area's RPB (records per block) setting is quite low, as is sometimes the case with index areas, then a table with a high rate of creates can lead to very fast growth of that area.  Another side-effect would be poor performance due to very sparsely-populated record blocks in that area.

Have a look at the configuration of that area in the structure file (dbname.st).

This thread is closed