progress reset password to sysprogress for progress data exp

Posted by siten0308 on 01-Feb-2019 03:39

Hello,

i am trying to find a way to reset the password to sysprogress password, or admin or whatever to get to use the progress explorer tool, the DB admin left and didn't give us the password, so now we are trying to find a way to reset it, i did find this article below:

https://knowledgebase.progress.com/articles/Article/P9483

however when i go to do that, when i go to Admin-> Security-> Edit User List, i get this error message:

you may not use this function with blank userid

i am not sure what to do at this point :( 

any advice or info will only help.

Posted by Paul Koufalis on 02-Feb-2019 00:50

This KB seems to suggest that you should use a Local Admin Group user: knowledgebase.progress.com/.../P72829

All Replies

Posted by 2356 on 01-Feb-2019 05:14

Just a thought:

From the notes in the KB > knowledgebase.progress.com/.../P9483.

If there is only one Security Administrator configured, and the password is lost or forgotten, other users are not able to make change on Edit User List... and Security Administrators.

There is no backdoor password to get into the system as an Administrator.

If the original Security Administrator Password is lost and there are no other users with Security Administrator privileges the database will have to be dumped and loaded to redefine the user and security administrator contents.

If you are able to dump the data definition and other stuff like sequence current values with the blank userid ( which can be disabled in the security settings of the database - data administration tool ), then the only thing you can do is:

- Dump the contents of the database ( ascii for stuff like sequence current values and ascii or binary for table contents )

- Build a new database

- Load the contents of the database

Posted by mollyfed on 01-Feb-2019 05:33

Hang on. where you say you can't access "progress explorer tool", are you talking about logging into the database or using one of the Progress Management tools? If it is the Web Management Tools, normally accessed at http://localhost:9090, I believe there is a way to hack into it. Maybe let us know what release you are using and maybe a screenshot of what you are trying to access.

TIA

Molly

Posted by siten0308 on 02-Feb-2019 00:27

Hello, big thanks for your help, yes sorry for the confusion, what i am trying to do is access Progress Explorer Tool, then trying to connect to the "LocalHost", but asks for username and password, which i dont have.

I tried to use dump data from data administrator tool to dump the results from table _user, however found the username, which is sysprogress, but the password didnt work :(

the version i see is Progress Explorer 10.1B

hope this helps, again big thank you for any help i can get

Posted by siten0308 on 02-Feb-2019 00:36

So to confirm, it is openEdge 10.1B, hope this info helps. hope there is a way to hack or get the back door :( if not, what other options? i know 2356 suggested i migration, but i am not sure if it would help, but then again, i am not a progress expert.

thanks all :)

Posted by Paul Koufalis on 02-Feb-2019 00:46

The Progress explorer Tool password on Windows has nothing to do with the database password. If I remember correctly, you can leave it blank and the PET will start.

Posted by Paul Koufalis on 02-Feb-2019 00:48

If blank doesn't work, try a local Windows user.

Posted by Paul Koufalis on 02-Feb-2019 00:50

This KB seems to suggest that you should use a Local Admin Group user: knowledgebase.progress.com/.../P72829

Posted by siten0308 on 02-Feb-2019 04:14

thank you Paul, that did it, it was my local admin :) thank you all

Posted by siten0308 on 02-Feb-2019 04:14

thank you Paul, that did it, it was my local admin :) thank you all

This thread is closed