Openedge webclient

Posted by ezazsterr on 01-Nov-2018 10:12

Dear all, I wanted some information about the progress webclient, as we have a gui based application that is using the client/server method of connecting to the database and moving from client/server to distributed application is all together a big challenge So some one suggested us to use the progress webclient which will act as a wrapper and it will in turn run our code on the server rather then on the client machine. I want to know how much this thing is correct. I have read some places that it uses the appserver to actually connect to the database as webclient cannot directly communicate with the database. How easy it is to implement, what all changes are need on the application end so that it can work with the webclient Right now we have a shared drive that is having all the application code that is mapped with everyone using the application developed in progress, they are executing the application on their own machine.we want to somehow force the query to run on the server instead of the client because of the latency between the client and the server. I know the appserver is the best solution for the same but it will need lot of efforts to change the existing application to work that way. We have the business logic and the ui mingled up together We are looking for a quick fix. Is this the correct solution for the same. I have few questions 1) if we can easily make our application work with webclient, who will execute the query? Appserver or the client 2) What all efforts are needed to make the application work with the webclient 3) what all configuration is needed 4) do we need to any changes in our existing code ? I just want to know whether I am going in a right direction? Regards,

All Replies

Posted by frank.meulblok on 05-Jun-2019 14:04

[quote user="ezazsterr"]I have read some places that it uses the appserver to actually connect to the database as webclient cannot directly communicate with the database.[/quote]

That is correct.

[quote user="ezazsterr"]How easy it is to implement, what all changes are need on the application end so that it can work with the webclient Right now we have a shared drive that is having all the application code that is mapped with everyone using the application developed in progress, they are executing the application on their own machine.[/quote]

That all depends on what your application code currently looks like. Specifically, how well the business logic is seperated from the UI logic, or how easy it is to disentangle those.

[quote user="ezazsterr"]We have the business logic and the ui mingled up together[/quote]

.. and that probably means that moving to an appserver is no quick fix for you. you'll probably be facing a lot of effort to rework the code so business logic can run on the server, and UI can stay on the client.

[quote user="ezazsterr"]Right now we have a shared drive that is having all the application code that is mapped with everyone using the application developed in progress, they are executing the application on their own machine.[/quote]

What *could* be a quick fix, is to reconfigure this so the client machines run from a local copy of the application code.

Right now it's not just database traffic that goes over the network, it's *everything* the application does. Keeping the application code local means it can load faster, and frees up the network bandwidth that's currently consumed by file sharing protocols.

This thread is closed