OE Replication 2nd Target Questions

Posted by Paul Koufalis on 20-Jul-2018 14:50

OE 11.7 on AIX

I have OER up-and-running, Normal Processing, and now I want to add a 2nd target.

Question #1: Can I take last night's full bkp of the src, restore the full, disablesiterepication source on the new target, do an incremental bkp -REPLTargetCreation on the source, then restore the incremental?

I started to try it, then got cold feet, leading to question #2:

Is there a way to recover from my screw-up as detailed below without having to disable replication completely and reseed both targets?

I did my probkup online incrementat -REPLTargetCreation, from Q1 then abandoned that, and then did a full probkup online -REPLTargetCreation. But when restoring this new full backup, the src and 2nd target never sync, and I get error 10716 (https://knowledgebase.progress.com/articles/Article/000033871).

I tried all kinds of things to make the source DB forget about my abandoned incremental -REPLTargetCreation, but nothing doing. Stopped the db, or just the rpserver. Removed the 2nd agent from repl.properties to get everything back to "normal processing" then tried again. In all cases, the 10716 error referred back to an AI file that was archived and emptied just after that first incremental  -REPLTargetCreation backup.

There must be some flag in the src DB and I don't know how to reset that flag w/out disabling replication on the source.

All Replies

Posted by Jigar Darji on 20-Jul-2018 15:10

Hi Paul,

Question #1 - Yes

Question #2

I would try -  probkup online source /dev/null  

i.e. Flag the source database as backed up by specifying the nul bit bucket as the backup volume. This way no backup volume space is needed yet it provides a source database block integrity check prior to either taking a OS-copy target creation and or a new incremental backup to be restored over target

Posted by Paul Koufalis on 20-Jul-2018 15:15

Thanks jigardarji. Have you successfully used method #1?

For Q2, my issue is that no matter what I did, the rpserver didn't want to sync with the new target, thinking that it was missing an AI file (seq #11). My interpretation that the rpserver still thought that the next AI file to read and send over to the new target was the next AI file after the first -REPLTargetCreation backup. That number must be stored somewhere. I don't think it was in the dbname.repl.recovery file so maybe in the DB master block?

I didn't check/try GeorgeP's master block parser to see if that information is there. Something to try.

Posted by Jigar Darji on 20-Jul-2018 15:25

Q1 - Yes sucessfully used this method many time.

This thread is closed