negative number appears in for the Table column

Posted by 2356 on 28-Mar-2018 14:08

Pardon me for my ignorance.

In promon > Record Locking Table option: 

Table:Part
-1:0

If you don't mind sharing your expertise on what is the indication of the negative number showing for Table? I couldn't find any docs for some explanation. 

Thanks,

Win

Posted by Rob Fitzpatrick on 28-Mar-2018 15:30

> Are system tables standard for every Progress databases, I guess?

Which system tables are present in the schema will vary from one release to another, and also possibly on whether a DB's schema has been updated to the latest version for that release.  There are proutil options for this:

proutil dbname -C updateschema

proutil dbname -C updatevst

Also, some system tables will only be present when certain database features have been enabled, e.g. Transparent Data Encryption, Auditing, etc.

Posted by gus bjorklund on 29-Mar-2018 11:28

There are also some predefined tables that have positive numbers.

btw: in recent releases, the _file records have a character field called _category that gives a little information about what the table is used for.

Posted by Rob Fitzpatrick on 02-May-2018 11:53

Field definitions have a description field: _field._desc.  Don't expect it to be populated for fields in system tables, apart from the audit tables.  They may also have a label (_label) or a column label (_col-label) that may help you understand the intended use of the field.

Table definitions also have a description field: _file._desc.  Pretty much the same story; only some security, partitioning, multi-tenancy, and auditing tables have descriptions.  Other descriptive fields are label (_file-label, blank for system tables) and category (_category).  The latter is populated for all system tables.

Posted by George Potemkin on 02-May-2018 14:48

Metadata

Engine Crew Monograph Number 17.

Gus Bjorklund, Progress Software Corporation

Last updated August 1, 1998

www.amduus.com/.../ProgressMetadata.pdf

All Replies

Posted by Rob Fitzpatrick on 28-Mar-2018 14:12

Application tables have positive table numbers; system tables have negative numbers.  Table -1 is "_file".

You can see tables and their table numbers like this:

for each dictdb._file no-lock by _file-number:

display _file._file-number _file._file-name.

end.

Posted by 2356 on 28-Mar-2018 15:24

Are system tables standard for every Progress databases, I guess?

Posted by Rob Fitzpatrick on 28-Mar-2018 15:30

> Are system tables standard for every Progress databases, I guess?

Which system tables are present in the schema will vary from one release to another, and also possibly on whether a DB's schema has been updated to the latest version for that release.  There are proutil options for this:

proutil dbname -C updateschema

proutil dbname -C updatevst

Also, some system tables will only be present when certain database features have been enabled, e.g. Transparent Data Encryption, Auditing, etc.

Posted by 2356 on 28-Mar-2018 16:14

Thank you for sharing Rob, appreciate it......this answers everything.

Posted by gus bjorklund on 29-Mar-2018 11:28

There are also some predefined tables that have positive numbers.

btw: in recent releases, the _file records have a character field called _category that gives a little information about what the table is used for.

Posted by 2356 on 02-May-2018 10:09

Is there any character field something like _description both for _file and _field? Been exploring but couldn't find any?

Posted by Rob Fitzpatrick on 02-May-2018 11:53

Field definitions have a description field: _field._desc.  Don't expect it to be populated for fields in system tables, apart from the audit tables.  They may also have a label (_label) or a column label (_col-label) that may help you understand the intended use of the field.

Table definitions also have a description field: _file._desc.  Pretty much the same story; only some security, partitioning, multi-tenancy, and auditing tables have descriptions.  Other descriptive fields are label (_file-label, blank for system tables) and category (_category).  The latter is populated for all system tables.

Posted by George Potemkin on 02-May-2018 14:48

Metadata

Engine Crew Monograph Number 17.

Gus Bjorklund, Progress Software Corporation

Last updated August 1, 1998

www.amduus.com/.../ProgressMetadata.pdf

This thread is closed