DB Startup Parameters

Posted by tpavlovic on 21-Feb-2018 04:53

11.7 Win32/64

I'm new to this Group so I don't know if this has already been answered.

Is there anywhere a list of parameters from %DLC%\properties\conmgr.properties and ubroker.properties and their 'real' command-line equivalents for starting various processes?

Also would it hurt them if OpenEdge Exploder showed a balloon tip indicating correct command-line parameter on mouse-over of every configuration setting?

All Replies

Posted by Rob Fitzpatrick on 21-Feb-2018 04:59

I'm not aware of an official source of that information.  I think your best bet is finding someone here (maybe Paul K?) who has compiled such a list.

> Also would it hurt them if OpenEdge Exploder showed a balloon tip indicating correct command-line parameter on mouse-over of every configuration setting?

I second that.  It would be a useful addition to the product.  

It would also be nice if validations on the OEE fields matched the command line.  E.g. -basetable and -baseindex allow negative values, but the equivalent OEE fields do not (unless that changed in 11.7).

Posted by e.schutten on 21-Feb-2018 05:10

+1

Posted by James Palmer on 21-Feb-2018 05:50

There's a heck of a lot of discrepancies between what is allowed as parameter values and what OEE allows. When you start getting into the world of OE Replication it becomes a nightmare! OEE has been improved a lot in 11.x compared to 10.2B, but there are still some issues.

In terms of working out which setting is which, the most reliable resource I've found is the DB log file itself. Search for the last (333), and get the next 100-150 lines and pop them into a new text file. That's the startup parameters from the last time the DB was started. The correlation between the descriptions here and in OEE is reasonable, and they also tell you the actual parameter name. It's not 100% fool proof, but there's enough there to enable you to work out the majority of things.

I think you've just volunteered to make a manual and share it publicly ;)

Posted by George Potemkin on 21-Feb-2018 06:00

How do the parameters in the Progress Explorer compare with standard Progress database server parameters?

knowledgebase.progress.com/.../20002

Posted by bronco on 21-Feb-2018 06:06

Well, “database configuration” under “informational views” (in OEE) is not bad.

Not sure however if need OEM installed for that...

Posted by rkumar on 21-Feb-2018 06:30

The "database configuration" view under "Informational views" in the database home page is available in both OEE and OEM.

We will take a note to fix the min-max validation of -basetable and -baseindex as well as revisit the other database parameters, including those for replication.

Posted by Ruanne Cluer on 21-Feb-2018 07:11

I'll get that article updated in the meantime and post when done for review :)

Posted by Rob Fitzpatrick on 21-Feb-2018 08:22

> I'll get that article updated in the meantime and post when done for review :)

Thanks Ruanne!

Posted by Matt Baker on 21-Feb-2018 08:43

The validation for basetable and baseindex not accepting negative values was fixed in 11.7.0.  Bug number PSC00351031.

Posted by tpavlovic on 22-Feb-2018 03:08

This is what I've come up with so far. Unfortunately attachment refused to attach so this is my DropBox.

oee.ods

This thread is closed