Link Progress 10.2a to SQL 2014 having trouble with descript

Posted by siten0308 on 17-Dec-2017 01:23

hello,

just as the titled stated, i am trying to link Progress 10.2a to SQL 2014, it seems to work for most of the columns, however i have been running into 2 problems:

1. some columns assuming something is wrong within the data of the field or the column itself, called description, causes this error, i know because once i remove the column the openquery from sql server works fine, add it back in, the error is:

Column X in table Y has value exceeding its max length or precision.
[DataDirect][ODBC Progress OpenEdge Wire Protocol driver] Error in row.

i did find this article below:

https://community.progress.com/community_groups/openedge_rdbms/f/18/t/9152

however the answer doesnt explain how or what db utility? is it db tool? what are the steps, i dont know what the table id or column id is, and how to get it from provenv tool? i cant get into data administration because i am getting another issue with that.

the 2nd issue is sometimes when i run the query, this error message happens: 

The OLE DB provider "MSDASQL" for linked server "ServerB" reported an error. The provider reported an unexpected catastrophic failure.
Msg 7330, Level 16, State 2, Line 1
Cannot fetch a row from OLE DB provider "MSDASQL" for linked server "ServerA".

this happens randomly, i have already done the openquery, which still sometimes happens, and i also set the link when creating to
@optname=N'remote proc transaction promotion', @optvalue=N'false'

thats all set. i am wondering if both are the same issue, or seperate? any help would greatly be appreciated.

big thanks :)

Posted by Valeriy Bashkatov on 19-Dec-2017 01:45

Hi,

First you need to fix the width of the fields table listed in the error message (ideally, for all tables.), about how to do it, see this article

knowledgebase.progress.com/.../P131482

All Replies

Posted by Valeriy Bashkatov on 19-Dec-2017 01:45

Hi,

First you need to fix the width of the fields table listed in the error message (ideally, for all tables.), about how to do it, see this article

knowledgebase.progress.com/.../P131482

This thread is closed