PROGETSTACK ERROR

Posted by claudemir_santos on 14-Nov-2017 06:58

Good Morning.
I have a Progress 11.7.1 (32bits) 
Running on a windows 2008R2 Enterprise.
When opening the proenv and typing progetstack <pid> (prowin32 process)
it returns the error
Cannot get stack of process <pid>.
The process id you specified may be invalid, not an OpenEdge ABL process or is a process from a pre 10.1c release.

I am sure that the pid is from a process 11.7.1.

Does anyone know to solve this problem?

All Replies

Posted by cjbrandt on 14-Nov-2017 10:32

Did you start the cmd window with the Run as Admin option ?

Posted by claudemir_santos on 14-Nov-2017 10:38

Yes,
De: cjbrandt [mailto:bounce-cjbrandt@community.progress.com]
Enviada em: terça-feira, 14 de novembro de 2017 14:34
Para: TU.OE.RDBMS@community.progress.com
Assunto: RE: [Technical Users - OE RDBMS] PROGETSTACK ERROR

Update from Progress Community

Did you start the cmd window with the Run as Admin option ?

View online

You received this notification because you subscribed to the forum.  To unsubscribe from only this thread, go here.

Flag this post as spam/abuse.

Posted by ezequielmontoya on 22-Nov-2017 09:10

Hello, exactly the same problem in OE 11.6.3 32 bits, Windows Server 2012.

I use the PID showed by _mprshut.exe

I found this article https://knowledgebase.progress.com/articles/Article/proGetStack-does-not-work-with-PASOE-agent

But it is PASOE-specific, points to Defect PSC00353228, and doesn't offer a solution.

I haven't find an article about my case.

Is there another way to get the stack of a process?

Posted by kirchner on 22-Nov-2017 09:27

You can get a stack trace from the process using any debugger. I happen to use windbg, but any one will do.

But you won't get any Progress specific information this way unless you know where in the memory to look for. For instance, ABL stack trace, persistent procedures, session parameters and the likes won't be provided by the debugger as-is.

Posted by ezequielmontoya on 22-Nov-2017 10:25

Oh, so dumb, I hadn't enabled the tracing!

I found this thread:

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/progress-general/ZMPNRi636hs

There George Potemkin (Thank you George!) linked this presentation from Rich Banville / Richard Shulman (thank you, guys!)

"What's that user doing? The OpenEdge Statement Cache.", June 7, 2011"
http://pugchallenge.org/slides/StatementCache.pptx

So this what I did:

Open PROMON

R&D

X

And now ProGetStack works Fine

Greetings

Posted by ChUIMonster on 22-Nov-2017 10:36

Progetstack and the client statement cache are not related.

Enabling client statement cache should not have anything to do with getting progetstack to work.

It is much more likely that you were previously mistaken about your proenv being run as  admin.

Posted by ChUIMonster on 22-Nov-2017 10:38

Also -- it is not generally considered to be a good idea to leave the client statement cache enabled.  In the past there have been issues with doing that.  Memory leaks and permissions issues can lead to situations where everyone is blocked or the db crashes.  I haven't *personally* seen that happen since 10.2 but I have heard stories from people who should know and I do not like to enable it for any longer than I really need it.

Posted by ezequielmontoya on 22-Nov-2017 10:58

Thank you, yes, I read about performance and crash issues. That's why I ask only the top of the stack.

Right now I'm using a local DB copy for this testing. We are not sure about pass this to our Production DB.

We may enable/disable it on needing, and just for one user at a time. We're still evaluating.

About Progetstack and the client statement cache, I feel sure about me using ProEnv as administrator before and after the enabling.

But I can be wrong, of course.

This thread is closed