Anyone try out CDC in OE 11.7 yet?

Posted by dbeavon on 25-Oct-2017 18:21

I'm curious if anyone has tried out this new "CDC" stuff in OE 11.7 (ie. built and deployed to production)

Here is the CDC Link: https://documentation.progress.com/output/ua/OpenEdge_latest/index.html#page/gspub%2Fopenedge-change-data-capture.html%23

Many years ago we made use of the old-fashioned ABL data replication triggers and rolled our own "ETL's" .  I'm curious if anyone has tried to replace any of their legacy ETL operations with the CDC technology.  

The article about CDC said that it is an "industry term" but doesn't elaborate at all. Are there any common industry standards or technologies that this was built upon?  My understanding of ETL's is that everyone in the world does it slightly differently and I'm interested to hear how CDC will innovate and give us something better than the tools and technologies that are already available.  Where data replication triggers were concerned, one thing that was missing in the past were triggers that would take effect for *both* ABL and SQL.  Perhaps this is the biggest innovation in CDC, because it was a major hurdle for OE customers to tackle on their own.

Another thing that interests me is the statement "CDC is a licensed product layered on top of a Workgroup or Enterprise RDBMS license."  I assume that means it is not free.  Does anyone have an idea how it will be licensed (ie. by the data record or table or database)?  And how much it will cost?

Posted by Paul Koufalis on 26-Oct-2017 15:31

What I like about CDC over repl triggers is that, like OE Auditing, it's not part of the 4GL.

I would guess that licensing will be like other Enterprise DB add-ons: included in Advanced Enterprise DB and about $150-200/user as an add-on to an existing EntDB.

I expect that I will start playing with it in Q1 2018.

Paul

All Replies

Posted by Paul Koufalis on 26-Oct-2017 15:31

What I like about CDC over repl triggers is that, like OE Auditing, it's not part of the 4GL.

I would guess that licensing will be like other Enterprise DB add-ons: included in Advanced Enterprise DB and about $150-200/user as an add-on to an existing EntDB.

I expect that I will start playing with it in Q1 2018.

Paul

This thread is closed