bkioWrite error--attempting to write to a previously full DB

Posted by keithg on 07-Sep-2017 13:11

(Progress 9.1E database running on Windows Server 2003 R2)

We just had a database shut down due to its attempt to write to a full database extent on disk.  It was attempting to write to extent file named "D1", but all activity should be written to the latest, variable extent named "D4".

The first couple relevant lines in the log file start like this:

APW 22:bkioWrite:Unknown O/S error during write

APW 22:bkioWrite:Insufficient disk space during write

Prior entries in the log file do not seem to indicate anything to be concerned about.  They are just notes about users logging in, logging out, etc.  Prior to those by 75 minutes is a section saying that an online backup completed successfully.

Why would the database attempt writing to an already-full extent file?

Posted by keithg on 09-Sep-2017 08:05

We found that the antivirus software was not prohibited from scanning the database files.  We made sure that was remedied right away.  We are not sure that this was the cause of the issue, but it was certainly possible.

I am going to mark this thread as "Answered" since we have a plausible explanation.

All Replies

Posted by George Potemkin on 07-Sep-2017 13:15

Anti-virus software locks the .d1 file?

> Why would the database attempt writing to an already-full extent file?

Records are updating.

Posted by keithg on 07-Sep-2017 13:50

Thanks for the suggestion, George.

After being able to sit back and think for a few minutes, that first error I found seems to point to a problem with the underlying technology (hardware, AV conflict, etc.) rather than the database or server software:

"Unknown O/S error during write"

Posted by keithg on 09-Sep-2017 08:05

We found that the antivirus software was not prohibited from scanning the database files.  We made sure that was remedied right away.  We are not sure that this was the cause of the issue, but it was certainly possible.

I am going to mark this thread as "Answered" since we have a plausible explanation.

This thread is closed