OpenEdge Explorer Console - what does this grant access to?

Posted by pn on 16-Aug-2017 09:13

As I am new to OpenEdge security, what does the OpenEdge Explorer Console actually get the user access to, in relation to the databases? If you have an account in the OpenEdge Explorer Console, how can that be assessed in terms of which databases the user can access on that server?

All Replies

Posted by Valeriy Bashkatov on 11-Oct-2017 04:39

As far as I understand, OpenEdge Explore/Management user can connect to database resources as a Blank User ID.

In terms of safety, the database must always be denied access to the data for the Blank User ID (Data Dictionary -> Admin -> Security ->  Dissalow Blank Userid Access). Also, you must assign the database administrator (Data Dictionary -> Admin -> Security -> Security Administrators).

After that, the user of OpenEdge Explorer can still access the database, but only to collect statistics. When they access to the data of application tables and administrative option, he will receive a message "** Insufficient access privilege for table".

Next, to allow administrative access to the database you must specify database security administrator credentials in the Database Administration panel in the section Database authentication for specific database as shown on this screenshot:

In addition, in OpenEdge 11.7, you can use the OpenEdge Authentication Gateway to authenticate and authorize the user in OpenEdge Explorer / Management, as well as for database resources.

I hope this help.

This thread is closed