Which is quicker, probkup/prorest or procopy or oscopy and p

Posted by James Palmer on 06-Dec-2016 05:23

Asking more out of interest than anything as I've already picked my poison. I need to move a 10.2B08 DB on Windows from one directory to another and it got me wondering what the quickest way is to achieve it. I've thought of 3 approaches:

1) Use OS copy to copy the physical files, edit up the .st file and prostrct repair

2) Use procopy

3) backup the db using probkup and prorest to the new location

So the question is, which would you use, why, and which would be the quickest? The DB is around 75GB in case that makes a difference. 

All Replies

Posted by kirchner on 06-Dec-2016 05:26

I like the backup/restore approach because you have yet another backup and it usually can't hurt having one too many backups :)

But I believe the copy/move + repair is way faster.

Especially if you can move the files within the same volume, it will be pretty much instantaneous.

Posted by George Potemkin on 06-Dec-2016 05:36

Prorest writes the blocks twice: first time while extending a target database by empty blocks and second time while reading the real blocks from backup file.

OS copy can be multi-threaded while procopy and probkup are always single-threaded.

Posted by Tim Kuehn on 06-Dec-2016 06:38

If it's the same drive then do a move followed by prostrct repair.

Posted by gus bjorklund on 07-Dec-2016 06:30

what tim said.

but do prostrct list first.

Posted by Tim Kuehn on 07-Dec-2016 06:45

but do prostrct list first.

That too  - for some reason this command's behavior changed and the db has to be where the .st thinks it is in order to work. 

Posted by George Potemkin on 07-Dec-2016 07:02

To run prostrct list only dbname.d1 should be in its original location.

This thread is closed