Is CDC (Change Data Capture) going to be in 11.7?

Posted by martinz on 28-Nov-2016 06:00

Hi all,

At the PUG Challenge in Noordwijk CDC was mentioned as a feature we can expect in 11.7. Some customers requested to add this kind of functionality into our application and databases. We could of course roll our own CDC mechanism (based for instance on auditing or replication triggers), but I'd rather use a native solution.

Is CDC a confirmed feature for 11.7 yet? And when can we expect the release of 11.7?

- Martin

Posted by Valeriy Bashkatov on 28-Nov-2016 07:22

>Is CDC a confirmed feature for 11.7 yet?

CDC is only presented for testing in OE11.7 - ESAP

You can try to sign now, if it is not too late:

"

Sign-up now to join the Progress OpenEdge 11.7 Early Software Access Program (ESAP).  Gain insight and provide feedback into how our next release will help your business address key market drivers such as high availability, security and more.  To register, send us an email today.     - See more at: community.progress.com/.../23816

"

All Replies

Posted by George Potemkin on 28-Nov-2016 06:27

> And when can we expect the release of 11.7?

Knowledgebase:

As of November 10, 2016, release 11.7 is scheduled to be released in Q2 2017, although dates and content of the release are subject to change.

As of 10/31/2016, release 11.7 is scheduled to be released in mid Q2 2017

Posted by Valeriy Bashkatov on 28-Nov-2016 07:22

>Is CDC a confirmed feature for 11.7 yet?

CDC is only presented for testing in OE11.7 - ESAP

You can try to sign now, if it is not too late:

"

Sign-up now to join the Progress OpenEdge 11.7 Early Software Access Program (ESAP).  Gain insight and provide feedback into how our next release will help your business address key market drivers such as high availability, security and more.  To register, send us an email today.     - See more at: community.progress.com/.../23816

"

Posted by Brian Bowman on 28-Nov-2016 11:10

As George and Valeriy have pointed out, CDC is currently scheduled for the 11.7 release.  OpenEdge 11.7 is currently scheduled for release in Q2 of 2017.  As Progress is a public company, we cannot guarantee CDC will be in OpenEdge 11.7 until it is released, nor can we guarantee that 11.7 will ship in Q2 of 2017.  At this point both of these look good but Progress cannot commit to either of these at this time.  

I believe that using CDC is your better choice rather than Auditing and/or Replication triggers if change identification and export is your requirement.  I have talked to many customers that are using these alternatives and they all have felt that CDC would meet their needs better than making use of auditing and/or Replication triggers. I would encourage you to sign up for the ESAP program, play with CDC and provide us feedback on how we can improve it for you.

Please let us know if you have any additional questions.

Brian

Posted by martinz on 28-Nov-2016 14:20

Thanks for your answers. I did sign up for the ESAP program -- now downloading. I'm also quite convinced that CDC would be the better option. But, as our customers are just like us (we'd like an option right now) I should at least look into it CDC to be able convince them to wait for at least another 6 months...

Thanks so far!

Posted by tharanga_herath on 29-Nov-2016 00:33

Im looking for the "CDC ESAP 3 Summary document" is any one know  how to get this document?

Posted by Mike Fechner on 29-Nov-2016 00:46

You should sign up for the ESAP program:

And ESAP related questions should be discussed in the ESAP forum.

Posted by martinz on 29-Nov-2016 03:36

Hi Mike,

Where would I find the ESAP forum?

Posted by Valeriy Bashkatov on 29-Nov-2016 03:49

Once your participation is confirmed, you should see it in your groups.

Something like that:

Posted by Brian Bowman on 29-Nov-2016 08:00

And then when you get to that group if you go to the documents tab at the top the CDC documents are there on the second page.

Brian

Posted by tharanga_herath on 29-Nov-2016 22:14

Hi Brian,

Thanks. I got the documents. Group is visible to be now.

Posted by tharanga_herath on 29-Nov-2016 22:14

Hi Brian,

Thanks. I got the documents. Group is visible to me now.

This thread is closed