Authentication service user authentication failure for syspr

Posted by Betty Hardin on 10-Oct-2016 08:03

Ran a dump / load (binary) over the weekend.   ODBC clients cannot connect this morning.   The broker is running on the data server and I don't see any errors in the oibroker log.   I DO see an authentication error "Authentication service user authentication failure for sysprogress [OpenEdge] - The user failed account authentication" in the database log.

Environment:  Windows Server 2008 / Progress 10.2B

All Replies

Posted by kirchner on 10-Oct-2016 08:17

Hi sir, any chance you forgot to re-create sysprogress or any other user required by ODBC clients?

Posted by steve pittman on 10-Oct-2016 08:50

Hi Betty,

The error you see is from a sql client who   failed  authentication,  probably the ODBC client you mentioned . They were trying to connect as user “sysprogress”.

Is it possible that the ODBC users connect as “sysprogress” without having any _User table user defined for “sysprogress” ?
This works if sysprogress is the only sql DBA defined in the db – in table _sysdbauth.
Once  more DBA’s are defined, then   sysprogress cannot login (fails authentication) unless defined in _User.
So it could be that this authentication failure started occurring because a new  sql DBA got created in the db.

This long-standing limitation helps lead to better security practices.

Hope this helps,    ….steve pittman  [OE sql software architect]

Posted by Betty Hardin on 10-Oct-2016 11:06

This is exactly it.  But here's the thing .. we did not have sysprogress in the _user table (or any other user) before the dump / load (which I really don't understand) and had no issues with ODBC.   Now that we've added it, we are unable to run any progress executable without entering the username / password.  In the past, prior to v10, I never had to add sysprogress - and never had these kind of issues.  

Posted by Betty Hardin on 11-Oct-2016 20:43

As it turns out - this was a failed dump / load.   Syteline has hidden tables in the database.  These were not displayed in the db analysis that was run before the dump and load - and displayed with 0 size after the dump / load.   Used the same process to run the db analysis both before and after.   I used a binary dump / load.   Syteline recommends using the data administration ascii dump / load.   So now I am working through that.

This thread is closed