Index Reads

Posted by Tim Kuehn on 22-Aug-2016 14:40

I've got an application that has this statement:

CAN-FIND(FIRST tablename
WHERE tablename.field1 = "something1"
AND tablename.field2 = "something1"
AND tablename.field3 <= 03/02/2016)

and it's generating > 100K index reads. CAN-FIND / LAST does a single index reads, and if I have the code USE-INDEX a different index with the same 3 leading fields, that results in a single index read as well. 

My first thought was "index corruption" - until an index scan reported otherwise.

Is there a scenario where the index tree could wind up in a state such that 100K index reads would make sense? 

Posted by George Potemkin on 22-Aug-2016 15:14

> The problem index is primary, unique

I bet 100K+ records were purged in past from the table.

It's the index entry locks. Idxcompact will get rid of them.

All Replies

Posted by George Potemkin on 22-Aug-2016 14:45

Does CAN-FIND use an unique index? Index entry locks?

Posted by kirchner on 22-Aug-2016 14:56

I would also be interested to know if both indexes are identical regarding ASCending/DESCending columns.

Posted by Tim Kuehn on 22-Aug-2016 15:05

The problem index is primary, unique and the columns are all ascending.

For information sake the primary index is:

char field

char field

date

char field

char field

date

date

The other index which works as expected is not unique and all columns are ascending. Its structure is:

char

char

date

char

The first three fields of both indexes are identical. 

Posted by George Potemkin on 22-Aug-2016 15:14

> The problem index is primary, unique

I bet 100K+ records were purged in past from the table.

It's the index entry locks. Idxcompact will get rid of them.

Posted by Keith Sudbury on 22-Aug-2016 15:21

That makes sense George. It would also explain why the LAST on the same index produces a different number of reads (different index block search order).

Running an idxanalys before/after the idxcompact would be nice to have.

Posted by Tim Kuehn on 22-Aug-2016 15:58

I've sent the suggestion to the customer - I'll let you know how this turns out.

Posted by Tim Kuehn on 23-Aug-2016 08:09

Here's the before/after the customer put together. 

Before idxCompact

After idxCompact

Index Name

Index Number

Fields

Level

Blocks

Size

% Util

Factor

Blocks

Size

% Util

Factor

ix1

7.0M

6.9M

ix2

449.4M

442.4M

ix3

100.6M

100.0M

ix4

296.8M

281.5M

The problem index was "ix2" and the idxcompact seems to've solved the problem as there's now one index read for the CAN-FIND.

One additional question I got was if there any concerns to running idxcompact for a live production database w/OE replication running.

Posted by Keith Sudbury on 23-Aug-2016 08:28

Running idxcompact on modern versions of OE is fine. If they are running an older version make sure to check the KB because there were some bugs in the past.

I have run weekly/monthly idxcompacts on very large (2TB+) databases in the past with no issues. YMMV based on the app but I usually look for indexes with 80% or lower Util with at least a thousand blocks, priority placed on indexes that are heavily used (based on _IndexStat info). Small indexes usually don't compact very well because of skew of data and the index structures.

There are a couple of things to watch out for though...

1) Don't try and compact an index to 100%. The default of 80% is almost always fine. Setting it higher can make the next X updates slower as it splits the index blocks down to a realistic level.

2) If you have a large and very fragmented index the compact can cause quite a bit of activity when it is running. Large is relative to your database and system size. Running the compacts on a regular basis usually prevents this but going from fragmented to "optimal" that first time can be intense.

Posted by Tim Kuehn on 23-Aug-2016 08:41

Keith - thank you for your answer. The customer's on 11.3 so I expect that'll be ok.

To confirm - you run idxcompact on your database while its up and running in production?

Posted by George Potemkin on 23-Aug-2016 08:50

> if there any concerns to running idxcompact for a live production database w/OE replication running.

If you need only to fix the issue with the index entry locks then you can run idxcompact with the smallest value of the index utilization parameter - namely 50. As a first step it will get rid of Index Delete Chain. It will not "de-utilize" the index blocks but will remove the obsolete index entry locks.

How many blocks were on Index Delete Chain of index #1512?

Posted by ChUIMonster on 23-Aug-2016 08:50

I can't speak for Keith but I can confirm that in my world running idxcompact online and in production is perfectly reasonable.  

Posted by Keith Sudbury on 23-Aug-2016 08:54

The only idxcompact bug I know of that would impact 11.3 is restricted to AIX and is really a ulimit issue.

Yes I run idxcompact online against production databases with either AI or AI + OE Replication running.  Most of the time I run them during the off hours (nights/weekends) unless the indexes are small or it is something that needs to be fixed right now.

Posted by George Potemkin on 23-Aug-2016 08:55

> If you have a large and very fragmented index the compact can cause quite a bit of activity when it is running.

And it will cause bi growth if there is a session with long open transaction. Idxcompact itself creates the short transactions.

Ixanalys has enough information to predict the volume of bi activity that idxcompact will generate.

Posted by Keith Sudbury on 23-Aug-2016 09:16

I would suggest that if you have sessions with long running transactions you have a different issue to solve :-)

Posted by Tim Kuehn on 23-Aug-2016 09:25

Re: long running tx - yep!

Posted by George Potemkin on 23-Aug-2016 09:42

"Long" is a relative term. 30-60 mins used to be acceptable for the transactions in production environment. But not when the utilities like idxcompact are running!

This thread is closed