Loading .d file

Posted by R V on 01-Aug-2016 15:06

DB version is Openedge 10.2, running in Windows 2003 R2 Enterprise Edition VM,

I created a table (with 3 CHARACTER columns)  using Data Administration tool (Admin -> Load Data and Definitions -> Data Definitions (.df file). 

Now, I want to load data into the table using a .d file, contents below:

"100" "101" "101A"
"100" "101" "101B"
"100" "101" "101C"

And I see multiple options to accomplish this:

Questions:

1. Admin ->  Load Data and Definitions -> Table contents (.d file) option in Data Administration tool seems to be disabled. Why?

I have OE Enterprise RDBMS 1 year EVAL license.

I also tried launching the tool using rx option (prowin32 -p _admin -rx), the option is still disabled.

2. I was trying to use 'input from' command:

INPUT FROM stgrp.d.
REPEAT:
IMPORT stgrp.pgroup stgrp.parent stgrp.subgroup.
END.
INPUT CLOSE.

This command just displays the line number for the next command, and sits there. I ran this command from sqlexplorer prompt. What am I missing?

SQLExplorer>INPUT FROM stgrp.d. 
1> REPEAT:
2> IMPORT stgrp.pgroup stgrp.parent stgrp.subgroup. 
3> END.
4> INPUT CLOSE.
5>

3. I see one more option online - prodict. What is it, how do I execute it, and from where?

This is my first time working on openedge, appreciate any help I can get. Thank you!

rv.

Posted by Libor Laubacher on 01-Aug-2016 22:01

> If so, is there a way to load the data with what I have? - See more at:

3) another option since you have ascii file, would be a bulk load (proutil dbname -C bulkload dbname.fd) - you can create the bulk loader description file in data administration.

All Replies

Posted by Libor Laubacher on 01-Aug-2016 15:21

1) it's probably the license (assuming you have the database connected); "showcfg" will tell you (or configinfo icon)

2) SQLExplorer uses SQL(92) syntax, it does not know what to do with ABL commands; you need to execute this from the procedure editor (prowin32 or mpro) and you would need to create a record in the table first, ie

input from stgrp.d.

repeat:

create stgrp.

import stgrp.

end.

input close.

3) another option since you have ascii file, would be a bulk load (proutil dbname -C bulkload dbname.fd) - you can create the bulk loader description file in data administration.

Posted by smat-consulting on 01-Aug-2016 15:26

Option 1: I don't know why Load Table Contents would be disabled - somebody from Progress with access to the source-code should be able to answer that question. Could it be a licensing issue?

2. Option 2: You are writing an ABL program, but are trying to execute it in the SQL Explorer. ABL you can execute within the Progress Editor (Start -> All Programs -> OpenEdge -> client). Also, you are missing the statement

CREATE stirrup.

before the import.

Option 3: this is basically the same as running the Table Load within the admin-tool. It's just a wrapper program which can be run from a shell-script (for automating dumps and loads of data and definitions). It is actually running the same as the Admin-Tool UI.

I am suspecting, that it won't do the trick as it most likely runs into the same restriction that caused the option to be disabled in the tool...

Posted by R V on 01-Aug-2016 16:58

1) showcfg:

Configuration File:   C:\Progress\OpenEdge\PROGRESS.CFG

Company Name:  

Product Name:   OE Enterprise RDBMS

Installation Date:   Wed Sep 23 09:06:47 2015

User Limit:   5

Expiration Date:   10/21/2016

Serial Number:  

Control Numbers:  

Version Number:   10.2B          

Machine Class:   KB

Port Number:   31

2)

I opened the tool using prowin32 -p _admin -rx.

I opened a procedure editor to run the command:

INPUT FROM "C:\data\tfs\stgrp.d".

REPEAT:

CREATE stgrp.

IMPORT stgrp.

END.

INPUT CLOSE.

It gave me a compiler message - 'This version of PROGRESS compiles only encrypted programs. (1086)'. I am not sure if I am in the correct window!

Posted by R V on 01-Aug-2016 17:01

For option 2:

When I go to Start -> All Programs -> OpenEdge -> client, I get a message in the bottom of the window saying - 'openedge client "This version of PROGRESS requires a start up procedure (495):'

'Press space bar to continue'

When I press space bar, the window closes.

I assume there might be help on this problem online, looking.. replying to you as well, Thank you for your help.

rv

UPDATE - I am not able to find any useful information online yet, still looking.. But i keep thinking that it is something to do with license! Can someone please point me in the right direction?

Posted by cjbrandt on 01-Aug-2016 18:15

you are missing the 4gl dev license.  It is what allows you to run uncompiled code and allows the use of the menus in the data dictionary for what you are trying to do.

Posted by R V on 01-Aug-2016 18:34

For some reason, I am not able to find some basic information online, guess i need to go home now!

What I have is a windows VM used for development only purposes, we wouldn't want to pay for license at this point. Is 4GL a paid version? This is the only information I could find in one of the pdfs I see online:

 4GL Development / Provision / OE Studio / OE Architect

• Licensed as with all standard products

• Must only be installed at your customer sites if registered to them

If so, is there a way to load the data with what I have?

Posted by Libor Laubacher on 01-Aug-2016 22:01

> If so, is there a way to load the data with what I have? - See more at:

Posted by R V on 02-Aug-2016 11:24

Ah, overlooked this in your earlier response. Thanks Libor. I will look into this option, try it and post the result.

Posted by R V on 02-Aug-2016 14:06

Excellent, Thank You very much!

I was able to load data in all 3 tables.. (had to fix the .d file for a couple of tables with DATE columns, but that is data issue) and grant some privileges!

This thread is closed