Adding Second Replication Target

Posted by Paul Koufalis on 16-May-2016 20:54

OE 10.2B08

I have OE Repl up-and-running with one source and one target and I want to add a second target. KB http://knowledgebase.progress.com/articles/Article/P125583 says I need to do a new REPLTargetCreation to seed the 2nd target.

If the target DB is down and the repl server is down, can't I just take a physical copy of the existing target DB and copy it to the second target server? Then when the server and agents come up, they'll all be sync'd at the same spot.

All Replies

Posted by jbr66 on 17-May-2016 09:18

Paul,

When the databases are down you need to copy the source database and transfer that to the second location, switch it to target and don't forget to add the agent in the <db>.repl.properties file. It can also be done online, but that's more tricky if you also run AIarchiver etc.

John

Posted by Paul Koufalis on 17-May-2016 09:28

@jbr66 do you mean an offline probkup/prorest of the source DB or a physical copy? Probkup/prorest with -REPLTargetCreation is the standard way to add a 2nd target as explained in the KB.  

If you mean physically copy the source to the 2nd target server and do an "enablesitereplication target" - I've never heard of anyone doing that. Have you done this successfully?

The mechanism that I don't understand is how does the source DB know which is the next AI note that should be applied to the target(s). My guess is that this information is stored in the repl.recorvery file and that when the server and agent first talk, the agent tells the server where he's at.  

Posted by jbr66 on 17-May-2016 10:05

Paul,

If you're making an offline backup then both methods would be successful IF the target database has exactly the same locations. The best way is to use an offline backup using probkup. Yes that information is stored in the <db>.repl.recovery file. I would also recommend to have the latest hotfix (10.2B0852) installed on all three servers (if possible).

John

Posted by Paul Koufalis on 17-May-2016 10:12

What is in hotfix 52?  I have many customers running replication on 10.2B08 without any hotfix and without issues.

Posted by Valeriy Bashkatov on 18-May-2016 10:07

The second replication target can be added without probkup  and stop source database.

I use for this offline OS copy of the first target.

Posted by Paul Koufalis on 18-May-2016 10:34

Valeriy: so you've done this and it works !?!  Cool !!  That's what I wanted to know. Do you need to copy the whole folder including the repl.recovery?  

Posted by Valeriy Bashkatov on 19-May-2016 03:30

Hi Paul,

I wanted to respond yesterday, but this site is not adapted for use on mobile devices (say hello to PSC)  ;-)

>>so you've done this and it works !?!  

Yes.

>>Do you need to copy the whole folder including the repl.recovery?

No. Only DB files. But usually the whole folder and then delete unnecessary.

This file does not affect the creation of a second targetl, in anyway repl.recovery is recreated at the time of the start database.

I have little article on my website about this... on Russian... but you can see it through Google Translate ;-)

Regards,
Valeriy

This thread is closed