SHUTDOWN DATABASES , BEFORE SHUTTING DOWN WINDOWS SERVER2012

Posted by monae on 08-Feb-2016 04:35

HELLO ALL ,

- can  we shutdown windows without shutting down databases , does it have bad effects .

or is it safe like with SQL  server   .

Best Regards

All Replies

Posted by James Palmer on 08-Feb-2016 04:44

It's always better to shut down the databases before shutting down the OS. The proshut command clears everything up and tidies it, ensuring no transactions are outstanding. Shutting down the OS does not do this and could cause problems. The likelihood is that it won't, but why take the risk?

Posted by ChUIMonster on 08-Feb-2016 08:25

It is perfectly safe.  When you restart the database will go through crash recovery and roll back any transactions that were not committed prior to the abrupt shutdown.  OpenEdge is very, very good about this.  You could safely shutdown the database by pulling the plug if you'd like (although Windows  might not like that very much).

Having said that...  it is *better* to go through a controlled shutdown so that any cleanup that the application itself might need to do outside of the database engine itself.

Posted by ChUIMonster on 08-Feb-2016 08:33

Crash recovery is utterly core to the OpenEdge database.  It is not "likely" that it will succeed -- it is absolutely guaranteed.

People rudely shutdown servers without first shutting down the db all the time.

If crash recovery does not work you are almost certainly dealing with something much more serious than the lack of a proshut.  The most likely reason for crash recovery to fail is deliberate (if misguided) interface by the admin (things like deleting or modifying critical files...) or hardware failure/misconfiguration.

Posted by Rob Fitzpatrick on 08-Feb-2016 08:41

While I agree with Tom that OpenEdge crash recovery is very robust, I wouldn't encourage shutting down the server without shutting down the databases first if you have any choice.

Last year I had a client cold-boot their server while the DBs were running.  When it came back up, one DB started fine and the other had BI corruption and wouldn't start.  They had to restore it from backup.

Posted by Roger Blanchard on 08-Feb-2016 08:45

We distribute scripts for our resellers to use that will shutdown the DBS during a windows shutdown event. However, most do not use/implement and we have never had a corrupt database reported. We have been using a Progress DB since 1989 and the only DB issues we have had were related to hardware issues.

The comment about SQL server is kind of funny. We used to demonstrate unplugging a windows PC running an OpenEdge DB as compared to unplugging a windows PC running a SQL server DB. The OpenEdge DB would come back up each and every time...not so much for the SQL server DB. That was quite a few years ago so maybe things have changed on the SQL server side...  

Posted by ChUIMonster on 08-Feb-2016 08:57

Just to be clear -- I wouldn't "encourage" it.  But I wouldn't fear it either.  If I have any choice in the matter I always go through proper shutdowns because that is the polite and proper thing to do.

And since we are on the topic of recovery and unexpected corruption etc...

One additional reason that I do  not fear  these things is that I also always make certain that after-imaging is enabled and that the backups and archived ai logs are on a different disk from your db & bi.  Preferably the "different disk" is in a different building far enough away to protect you from fire, flood, blizzard and organized crime.

This thread is closed