Type 1 to type 2 conversion docs.

Posted by durgaprasad m on 19-Jan-2016 12:39

Hi All,

Kindly provide type 2 conversion documents.

Regards,

Durgaprasad

All Replies

Posted by Rob Fitzpatrick on 19-Jan-2016 12:51

The Database Administration manual is a good place to start.

There is no conversion utility per se for conversion from Type I to Type II storage.  In practical terms, it requires a dump and load of your data.

Empty or small tables and their indexes can be moved from a Type I area to a Type II area via proutil tablemove.  Don't try this approach with large tables as it will be time-consuming and cause rapid BI file growth.

The usual common sense applies: regardless of your approach, be sure to document it, test it, and verify it in a test environment before trying it in production.

Posted by Thomas Mercer-Hursh on 19-Jan-2016 12:59

There must be PUG Challenge talks around covering the topic.

Posted by Rob Fitzpatrick on 19-Jan-2016 14:45
Posted by Simon de Kraa on 01-Feb-2016 05:04

Sorry to hijack this topic...

I am looking into migrating a db with one schema area to a db with type 2 storage areas.

I have the new db layout including rpb and bpc in an Excel sheet.

What is the easiest and fastest way to produce a new df file that contains the correct area assignments?

1. dump the .df file of the original database and load in a new database.

2. create a proutil tablemove/idxmove based on the Excel sheet and run in on the new empty database

Is this correct? I'd rather not manually edit the .df files.

Thanks.

Posted by cverbiest on 01-Feb-2016 06:33

We decided to split our tables into SETUP, TRANS(actional) and AUDIT. for each type of table we create an area for tables, indexes and lobs.

I wrote a simple 4GL procedure to read the df, read the config from a csv file and write a new df.

https://gist.github.com/cverbiest/feb807d0784ff01a7c66

It works fine for our needs and could be a starting point

Posted by Rob Fitzpatrick on 01-Feb-2016 08:40

Simon,

Doing your tablemoves in an empty DB and exporting the .df as you've described is probably the easiest approach.

This thread is closed