The largest OpenEdge database in the world

Posted by Andriy Mishin on 23-Dec-2015 08:39

Hi guys!

What are the biggest OpenEgde databases in the world?

One of my client right now has a OpenEdge database size is close to 10 TB (!).

Are there larger than this?

Posted by mfurgal on 23-Dec-2015 09:17

I don't know what the biggest one in the world is, but I have personally worked on a 15 TB database for a US company.  

Multi-terabyte databases are the extreme today.  They exist in pockets by are not the norm.  In 5 years, Multi-TB databases will be more mainstream and 10+ TB databases will be the extreme.

We need to keep plowing ahead to keep up, and features like Table Partitioning is useful for managing these large databases.

All Replies

Posted by mfurgal on 23-Dec-2015 09:17

I don't know what the biggest one in the world is, but I have personally worked on a 15 TB database for a US company.  

Multi-terabyte databases are the extreme today.  They exist in pockets by are not the norm.  In 5 years, Multi-TB databases will be more mainstream and 10+ TB databases will be the extreme.

We need to keep plowing ahead to keep up, and features like Table Partitioning is useful for managing these large databases.

Posted by James Palmer on 23-Dec-2015 10:05

I reckon [mention:ae2ea2f6412743fc8be36c522f414ef0:e9ed411860ed4f2ba0265705b8793d05] may well have knowledge of some big databases!

Posted by George Potemkin on 23-Dec-2015 10:57

And I know who has started the topic... ;-)

A bit old reference:

2013 - Boston, MA

Progress Very Large Databases (VLDB)

Presented by: Dan Foreman

www.progress.com/.../Track-5---Progress-Very-Large-Databases.pdf

Posted by Dmitri Levin on 23-Dec-2015 16:59

The question how big OE databases could be depends on how easy they are to manage. And partitioning pays a big role to make it easy for DBA. In the past I did all my best to try to keep OE database smaller, by purging data regularly. Some DBA split databases for the same reason.

I would like to find if someone has a big Partitioned OE database? In other words looking for experience with partitioning VLDB. I have partitioned many Oracle databases, but not a OE yet. May be in 2016 :)

Posted by Andriy Mishin on 24-Dec-2015 07:19

Thanks to all for your reply!

[quote user="mfurgal"]

I have personally worked on a 15 TB database for a US company.  

[/quote]

How many users work with this database?

[quote user="mfurgal"]

[/quote]

Table Partitioning - is good solution.

Merry Xmas to all!

Posted by mfurgal on 24-Dec-2015 09:41

It's a webspeed application, so the connected users were around 100, but they served many more.

The Advanced Enterprise Edition includes Table Partitioning and all the other Enterprise features.  I am not trying to sell here, but rather inform.

Merry Christmas

Posted by Andriy Mishin on 25-Dec-2015 03:15

Thank you, mfugal!

Maybe Progress have any statistics regarding the maximum size of the database and the number of users in the real world?

This thread is closed