OpenEdge DB and VMware vMotion?

Posted by Marko Myllymäki on 18-Dec-2015 01:26

Has anyone experience in VMware vMotion, specifically with OpenEdge databases? I don't know much about vMotion but I know that it is a technique to move a running virtual machine from one host to another on the fly ("live migration"). I'd like to know if this live migration could (or should not) be used while there is a database running. Is there a substantial risk of database corruption? Do the clients stay connected or are they disconnected while moving the virtual machine?  

Thanks in advance for any opinions, info and experiences. 

Posted by James Palmer on 18-Dec-2015 08:04

At the dba question and answer session at the EMEA pug we heard that vmotion was a nightmare on a running database. The corruption can get through to the ai files and thereafter into replication. It's not a guarantee to happen but not a risk I would take.

Sent from my Windows Phone

All Replies

Posted by James Palmer on 18-Dec-2015 08:04

At the dba question and answer session at the EMEA pug we heard that vmotion was a nightmare on a running database. The corruption can get through to the ai files and thereafter into replication. It's not a guarantee to happen but not a risk I would take.

Sent from my Windows Phone

Posted by Marko Myllymäki on 18-Dec-2015 08:46

Thanks, James, this was helpful. This confirms my intuition that it is better to close the databases before moving the virtual machine.

Posted by Rob Fitzpatrick on 18-Dec-2015 14:58

You could also take a quiet point in the database (proquiet) and confirm in the DB log that the quiet point is enabled, and then vmotion the VM.

Posted by Marko Myllymäki on 21-Dec-2015 02:55

A good point, Rob, thanks.

This thread is closed