SQLWidthUpdate in 11.6

Posted by Dmitri Levin on 17-Nov-2015 16:56

I try to set up Autonomous Schema Update startup parameter

proserve dbname -SQLWidthUpdate ON

But it does not set it on

[2015/11/17@17:45:38.444-0500] P-55444098 T-1 I BROKER 0: (18156) SQL Autonomous Schema Update (-SQLWidthUpdate): OFF

Is there anything else that needs to be done to set -SQLWidthUpdate ON ?

The database in question was converted from V10.2B using conv1011.

And the same thing with -SQLTruncateTooLarge parameter.

All Replies

Posted by Rob Fitzpatrick on 17-Nov-2015 17:10

I haven't tried it yet.  It's odd that the SQL docs show an example of specifying the parameter with proserve, and yet neither of those new parameters are listed in the database startup parameter reference in the DB Admin manual.

You can also specify it as a parameter in the SQL client's connection URL (SQL Development, pg. 155-159).  You could give that a try.

Posted by steve pittman on 17-Nov-2015 17:22

Dimitri,

You need to start the broker with networking for the -SQLWidthUpdate to have an effect. A broker with no networking cannot start an OE sql server.  I.e., you need a -S startup parameter also.

So try:

proserve  mydb  -S  1234   -SQLWidthUpdate ON

hope this helps,      ..... steve pittman

Posted by steve pittman on 17-Nov-2015 17:31

About the documentation, looks like we did not get all the startup parameter descriptions updated in all the relevant books.

Seems like both the DB Admin and the Startup Param ref should have these, but this need got missed.

We will straighten this out for the next release that has new documentation.

The description is in the SQL Dev Guide.

Thanks for pointing out these missing doc entries,         ....steve pittman

Posted by Rob Fitzpatrick on 17-Nov-2015 18:07

They were also missed in the Startup Parameters section of the 11.6 NeRF manual.

Posted by Dmitri Levin on 18-Nov-2015 10:42

Thanks Steve. It makes sense. With networking (-S) it is set ON.

[2015/11/18@11:36:43.964-0500] P-49479750   T-1     I BROKER  0: (18156) SQL Autonomous Schema Update (-SQLWidthUpdate): ON

Rob, that is a server startup parameter. Documentation says it is ignored by the client.

<quote>

Note: This parameter can be provided only during server startup and not in the client connection URL.

<end quote> Startup Command and Parameter reference.

Posted by Dmitri Levin on 18-Nov-2015 12:01

And here is how -SQLWidthUpdate works

I have "test-sql-width" table with "char-1" field format "x(8)" sql MAX-WIDTH 16 and it has long string values more then 16 characters.

First time I execute "select" I get abbreviated strings to first 16 characters.

SQLExplorer>select * from PUB."test-sql-width";

char-1

----------------

This is a long s

An other long st

At the same time schema is updated and now MAX-WIDTH 39, because the longest string I have is 39 characters.

The second time execute "select" I get all my data.

SQLExplorer>select * from PUB."test-sql-width";

char-1

---------------------------------------

This is a long string that should break

An other long string for test

I did not logout, just executed it a second time.

Since we were waiting for that parameter about 10 year, I am thinking to put -SQLWidthUpdate ON in startup.pf

Posted by Stefan Marquardt on 18-Nov-2015 12:09

I thought that the first request should get an exception to show that there is a data truncation and it has to be queried a second time

This thread is closed