Estimating the needed network bandwidth

Posted by Jimmer on 09-Jul-2015 08:29

Hello,

Is there a way/formula to estimate or measure the needed network bandwidth for a database server (and I guess for an application server as well) with x users and appserver's agents (x ranging from 10 users up to 500 users)?
By default all new servers come with at least 2 * 1Gb NICs but if you wanted to assess whether this is enough or not, how would you proceed?

Thanks

JM

All Replies

Posted by Paul Koufalis on 09-Jul-2015 08:35

No. It is entirely application dependent. All you can do is try to profile an existing production environment then extrapolate the data. If you have such an environment, segregate the users and AppServers on different -S ports as their bandwidth usage will likely be distinct.  

The data you want is easily accessible in the VSTs or you can just install the free version of ProTop and pull up the server screen.

Posted by TheMadDBA on 09-Jul-2015 09:39

Adding on to what Paul said about there not being a magic formula that works for every application (just like for IO,Memory,CPU,etc)....

I prefer to monitor with OS tools in addition to the OE tools. In most cases they should report close to the same number of packets but there can be differences if things outside of OE are using network resources (FTP,Mail,drive sharing,etc).

The OS tools will also give you information on how close you are to the limits for bandwidth (almost never an issue) and the number of packets per second (sometimes an issue).

Also keep in mind that without you doing something special that second/third NIC will likely just sit there idle.  By default you will have one IP address for the host name and all traffic will go through that one IP address... leaving the second IP address inactive. There are several ways to handle this if you really need to.

Posted by Jimmer on 13-Jul-2015 08:44

Ok, I got your points.

Thanks for the help

JM

This thread is closed