Make an existing global index local

Posted by Valeriy Bashkatov on 18-Jun-2015 09:55

Hi,

In Data Dictionary I see in Index Editor menu item "ChangeLocal", but when I select global index and then ChangeLocal I get this message:

You cannot change _Index-Attributes[1] on an existing index. (17642)

So it is possible to make existing global index as local?

Or it must be removed and then re-created as a local?

Regards,
Valeriy

Posted by Richard Banville on 18-Jun-2015 10:06

Once global, it is always global.  It must be deleted and re-created as local.

You only get one chance to make existing indexes local and that is when you initially change the table to a partitioned table.

[collapse]
From: Valeriy Bashkatov [mailto:bounce-Arelav2@community.progress.com]
Sent: Thursday, June 18, 2015 10:56 AM
To: TU.OE.RDBMS@community.progress.com
Subject: [Technical Users - OE RDBMS] Make an existing global index local

Thread created by Valeriy Bashkatov

Hi,

In Data Dictionary I see in Index Editor menu item "ChangeLocal", but when I select global index and choose ChangeLocal I get this message:

[...]

Posted by Valeriy Bashkatov on 22-Jun-2015 02:47

I thought so!

Thank you Richard!

Could you change the text "You can not change _Index-Attributes [1] on an existing index" to something more clear?

For example, "Menu item "ChangeLocal" only for new indexes".

Posted by Rohit Kumar on 22-Jun-2015 03:00

We have taken down this request to improve the error message to be more meaningful. Thanks.

Posted by gus on 22-Jun-2015 09:07

when i had a global index by my own mistake, i did the following:

* sql drop index

* sql create index

* index build just that index.

that was fairly straightforward once i realized i could do it that way.

This thread is closed