SQL User Logins NOT in db.lg

Posted by Paul Koufalis on 26-May-2015 09:03

OE 10.2B05 + RHEL 5.9

I must be crazy.

Promon shows 4 SQL connections with their login times. The db.lg shows no trace of these user logins.

I don't see anything in the KB. Does anyone know if this was a bug?

All Replies

Posted by Libor Laubacher on 26-May-2015 09:14

Ø  I must be crazy.

I don’t agree.

Maybe looking at the different log file or different time part?

[collapse]
From: Paul Koufalis [mailto:bounce-pkoufalis@community.progress.com]
Sent: Tuesday, May 26, 2015 4:04 PM
To: TU.OE.RDBMS@community.progress.com
Subject: [Technical Users - OE RDBMS] SQL User Logins NOT in db.lg

Thread created by Paul Koufalis

OE 10.2B05 + RHEL 5.9

I must be crazy.

Promon shows 4 SQL connections with their login times. The db.lg shows no trace of these user logins.

I don't see anything in the KB. Does anyone know if this was a bug?

Posted by Paul Koufalis on 26-May-2015 09:20

More information:

Every Sunday the logs are rotated (not prolog).  On Sunday May 17 at 4:02:37, I clearly see the last line of the archived log file is a SQL logout. Since that log rotation there are no more SQL login/logouts in the lg.

Must be some file handle screw-up because of the log rotation. First time I notice this.

Posted by George Potemkin on 26-May-2015 10:44

It's the same with 4GL clients:

mpro db

escape to OS

$$ mv db.lg db.mv.lg

$$ touch db.lg

return to editor and logout.

The lougout message will be in db.mv.lg

Posted by Paul Koufalis on 26-May-2015 11:38

This has always worked in the past, as evidenced by multiple archived weekly db.lg files. For some reason it stopped working after the log switch on May 17. Even though SQL clients connect and disconnect thousands of times a day I don't see any of them in the lg.

On the plus side, this explains why last week's lg file was 55K lines while previous weeks it's over 4M lines per week.

Another reason to up-vote the enhancement request to have multiple, category-specific  db.lg files.

This thread is closed