Migration strategy?

Posted by James Palmer on 18-May-2015 08:26

This is somewhat academic I think, but it's an idea a colleague and I dreamt up the other day.

We're currently migrating from 11.2.1 to 11.5 on a new server (moving 32bit to 64bit Progress, and also windows versions) and our migration is planned for this weekend. It's going to take a while due to the length of time it takes to do backups and restores of the DB to reseed replication on new machines etc.

So how about this for a strategy:

  • Restore a backup to the new server
  • Start up replication to the new DR box
  • Apply the AI files from production to the new server as they are archived (this will replicate will it not?)
  • On migration day switch off old server, rename new server, set IP address, start up DBs.

That should take about 30 minutes in theory, meaning we could migrate overnight! Would this work?

All Replies

Posted by George Potemkin on 18-May-2015 09:32

> Apply the AI files from production to the new server as they are archived (this will replicate will it not?)

Progress versions should be the same on source and target. Successful replication is not guaranteed if the versions are different (including the bitness of Progress). Can you migrate to 32-bit Progress 11.2.1 on new server changing Progress version only at last moment?

Posted by James Palmer on 18-May-2015 09:34

Source and target will both be the same version - I'm talking about taking the AI files from current production and applying them to new production meaning that on migration day all we need to do is to change some settings on the new server.

So I guess the question is, can I take the AI files from 11.2.1 32 bit and apply them to 11.5 64 bit?

Posted by Libor Laubacher on 18-May-2015 09:40

Ø  So I guess the question is, can I take the AI files from 11.2.1 32 bit and apply them to 11.5 64 bit?

It’s not officially supported.

You may try and it will most probably work, but it’s not 100% guaranteed that it will always work.

[collapse]