Migration strategy?

Posted by James Palmer on 18-May-2015 08:26

This is somewhat academic I think, but it's an idea a colleague and I dreamt up the other day. 

We're currently migrating from 11.2.1 to 11.5 on a new server (moving 32bit to 64bit Progress, and also windows versions) and our migration is planned for this weekend. It's going to take a while due to the length of time it takes to do backups and restores of the DB to reseed replication on new machines etc. 

So how about this for a strategy: 

• Restore a backup to the new server
  • Start up replication to the new DR box
  • Apply the AI files from production to the new server as they are archived (this will replicate will it not?) 
  • On migration day switch off old server, rename new server, set IP address, start up DBs. 

That should take about 30 minutes in theory, meaning we could migrate overnight! Would this work?

All Replies

Posted by George Potemkin on 18-May-2015 09:32

> Apply the AI files from production to the new server as they are archived (this will replicate will it not?)

Progress versions should be the same on source and target. Successful replication is not guaranteed if the versions are different (including the bitness of Progress). Can you migrate to 32-bit Progress 11.2.1 on new server changing Progress version only at last moment?

Posted by James Palmer on 18-May-2015 09:34

Source and target will both be the same version - I'm talking about taking the AI files from current production and applying them to new production meaning that on migration day all we need to do is to change some settings on the new server.

So I guess the question is, can I take the AI files from 11.2.1 32 bit and apply them to 11.5 64 bit?

Posted by Libor Laubacher on 18-May-2015 09:40

Ø  So I guess the question is, can I take the AI files from 11.2.1 32 bit and apply them to 11.5 64 bit?

It’s not officially supported.

You may try and it will most probably work, but it’s not 100% guaranteed that it will always work.

[collapse]
From: James Palmer [mailto:bounce-jdpjamesp@community.progress.com]
Sent: Monday, May 18, 2015 4:35 PM
To: TU.OE.RDBMS@community.progress.com
Subject: RE: [Technical Users - OE RDBMS] Migration strategy?

Reply by James Palmer

Source and target will both be the same version - I'm talking about taking the AI files from current production and applying them to new production meaning that on migration day all we need to do is to change some settings on the new server.

So I guess the question is, can I take the AI files from 11.2.1 32 bit and apply them to 11.5 64 bit?

Stop receiving emails on this subject.

Flag this post as spam/abuse.

[/collapse]

Posted by James Palmer on 18-May-2015 09:46

I'll give it a whirl then. If it fails then nothing is lost! If it works then I've just bought my weekend back ;)

Posted by TheMadDBA on 18-May-2015 09:52

You can always install both versions and use 11.2.1 for the AI apply and then switch to 11.5. I would test it.

I have used AI applies between minor version differences in the past without issues... but never for production roll overs. I only used it for test/qa instances when we were planning upgrades.

Posted by Libor Laubacher on 18-May-2015 09:57

I just read your initial post and I am a bit confused:

>> 
Restore a backup to the new server
<< 

In previous posts you said you have SAN, why would you need to restore anything? Assuming the SAN hosts the db and alos that it will be mounted to a new machine.

>> 
Start up replication to the new DR box
Apply the AI files from production to the new server as they are archived (this will replicate will it not?)
<< 

If you start up replication, why to apply AI? The replication will replicate the changes by default?
[collapse]
Sent: Monday, May 18, 2015 4:47 PM

Reply by James Palmer

I'll give it a whirl then. If it fails then nothing is lost! If it works then I've just bought my weekend back ;)

[/collapse]

Posted by James Palmer on 18-May-2015 10:01

The SAN is part of the new infrastructure so isn't in current production. The current production box is all direct attached storage.

The new server and DR will be completely new. So I'd set up the new system to replicate to the new DR by applying a recent backup of production. That would then replicate to the new DR box. Then I'd take the AI files from current production to apply to new production, meaning that new production would basically be up to date with current live. So when we turn off current live we already have the up to date database ready to do with replication running meaning we don't have to take backups and restore them before we can migrate.

Posted by Libor Laubacher on 18-May-2015 10:25

Let me see if I ‘translated’ this correctly:

You will set up a NEW environment (source & target) based on whatever backup of OLD production you have while OLD keeps running.
You will then enable replication on a NEW environment. And then at some point later you would take AI files from OLD (source) and apply then onto NEW (source) ?

I don’t think that’s going to work.

[collapse]
Sent: Monday, May 18, 2015 5:02 PM

Reply by James Palmer

The SAN is part of the new infrastructure so isn't in current production. The current production box is all direct attached storage.

The new server and DR will be completely new. So I'd set up the new system to replicate to the new DR by applying a recent backup of production. That would then replicate to the new DR box. Then I'd take the AI files from current production to apply to new production, meaning that new production would basically be up to date with current live. So when we turn off current live we already have the up to date database ready to do with replication running meaning we don't have to take backups and restore them before we can migrate.

[/collapse]

Posted by James Palmer on 18-May-2015 10:28

Yes that sounds like you've understood me.

Posted by ChUIMonster on 18-May-2015 10:35

But... once you are in the NEW the storage administrators /should/ be able to take advantage of the incredible and unspeakably awesome power of the SAN to quickly make a copy of the production db to seed replication with.

Isn't that sort of thing one of the reasons that they bought the SAN?

[collapse]On 5/18/15 11:28 AM, James Palmer wrote:
Reply by James Palmer

Yes that sounds like you've understood me.

-- 
Tom Bascom
603 396 4886
tom@greenfieldtech.com
[/collapse]

Posted by TheMadDBA on 18-May-2015 10:35

Just make the new box a secondary replication target with the existing version of OE. Managing two versions on the new box will be much simpler and quicker than manually doing anything.

Posted by James Palmer on 18-May-2015 10:39

Oooh yes Tom there's a thought! :D

This thread is closed