DB monitoring tools with alert capabilities

Posted by James Palmer on 29-Apr-2015 09:54

We are looking at acquiring some software to monitor our DB, with alerts when certain thresholds are hit. I'm aware of ProTop (although I'm unsure as to the automatic alerting side), and I'm also aware of OEM. Unfortunately OEM has been priced out of what we can justify so that's not an option.

What tools do people use for this sort of thing?

All Replies

Posted by TheMadDBA on 29-Apr-2015 10:09

ProMonitor.. which may or may not be cheaper than OEM now that BravePoint is part of PSC.

Other options are to roll your own using VSTs. Integrating with tools like Nagios is pretty trivial and a lot of the scheduling framework is already built in. Or since you are on Windows.... Windows Scheduled Tasks if you are feeling frisky.

Posted by Paul Koufalis on 29-Apr-2015 10:15

ProTop definitely has the ability to alert on pretty much everything.

I can tell you from experience that rolling your own is going to be more costly than using a service like ProTop.

Paul

Posted by James Palmer on 29-Apr-2015 10:17

Thanks for that.

Posted by Marek Bujnarowski on 29-Apr-2015 10:23

ProMonitor is only available as part of the Progress Bravepoint Managed Service and cannot be purchased standalone.
After signing up for the service, it can be installed to monitor designated databases.

[collapse]