Exporting data from 91D

Posted by Cristinst on 25-Mar-2015 07:16

Hi

I have an old software Vista by epicor running a 91D database I need to export that database. so I can use that data (or some of) into a new system I cannot seem to figure out how to export the data. I guess I will need step by step instructions from the start can anyone please help

All Replies

Posted by Peter Judge on 25-Mar-2015 07:19

If you have access to the data dictionary, then a dump & load will work fine. This requires the old (source) and new (target) schemas to be the same, which is not clear from your post.

-- peter

[collapse]
From: Cristinst [mailto:bounce-Cristinst@community.progress.com]
Sent: Wednesday, 25 March, 2015 08:17
To: TU.OE.RDBMS@community.progress.com
Subject: [Technical Users - OE RDBMS] Exporting data from 91D

Thread created by Cristinst

Hi

I have an old software Vista by epicor running a 91D database I need to export that database. so I can use that data (or some of) into a new system I cannot seem to figure out how to export the data. I guess I will need step by step instructions from the start can anyone please help

Stop receiving emails on this subject.

Flag this post as spam/abuse.

[/collapse]

Posted by Cristinst on 25-Mar-2015 07:28

Right Know I dont know even the First step I am totally clueless sorry Unfortunately  this project was dumped in my lap even though I do not have the qualifications to do it. only saving grace is I know I can learn what needs to be done  I found the Data Dictionary I know where the physical Name and the database file is Or at least I think I do.  When I try to connect I get ** the database E:\epicor\mfgsys60\db\mfgsys is in multi-user Mode (276)

Posted by Peter Judge on 25-Mar-2015 07:34

The dump & load doc is at http://documentation.progress.com/output/OpenEdge115/openedge115/dmadm/dumping-and-loading.html# if you haven't found it yet. The doc talks about binary dump & load but I don't know whether that works across versions.

The database connection screen has an a option to select 'multi user' somewhere on it (sorry, going from memory here).

-- peter

[collapse]
Sent: Wednesday, 25 March, 2015 08:30
Subject: RE: [Technical Users - OE RDBMS] Exporting data from 91D

Reply by Cristinst

Right Know I dont know even the First step I am totally clueless sorry Unfortunately  this project was dumped in my lap even though I do not have the qualifications to do it. only saving grace is I know I can learn what needs to be done  I found the Data Dictionary I know where the physical Name and the database file is Or at least I think I do.  When I try to connect I get ** the database E:\epicor\mfgsys60\db\mfgsys is in multi-user Mode (276)

[/collapse]

Posted by RJPowell on 25-Mar-2015 07:34

When you connect to the database, you should have a button labelled "Options >>".  Click that to expand out the options, and check the "Multiple Users" box.  That should resolve your error.

Posted by Cristinst on 25-Mar-2015 07:42

Thanks that has gotten me past my first stumbling block. Now what is next

Posted by RJPowell on 25-Mar-2015 07:45

If you go to "Tools", "Data Administration", that's where you can dump and load from.  The "Admin" menu has the dump options in it.

Posted by Cristinst on 25-Mar-2015 07:56

Thats what I figured I but  that is grayed out and not available. I seem to be connected because I can create a table report. but under the admin only thing available is Security.

Posted by RJPowell on 25-Mar-2015 09:05

I believe that occurs if you're running using a run time licence.  I think you need a development licence to access those options.  You'll probably need to talk to someone within your organisation about obtaining a development licence, unless anyone else here has any alternate ideas about what could cause your problem.

Posted by S33 on 25-Mar-2015 09:32

If your epicor software is supported by a vendor, I would reach out to them. They should be able to perform some of this service for you, or at least get you a 3-day free trial of a developer license. Be aware that when you do get a successful dump of the data, it will not have a lot of context, somewhat like a spreadsheet with no column headings.

You may need a Progress consultant to get you the data and an epicor consultant to tell you what it means.

I'm assuming it's unethical for me to use this forum as a place to advertise for profit.   :-)

How big is your database, and where are you located ?

Posted by Cristinst on 25-Mar-2015 09:55

Unfortunately the software is no longer supported by the vendor

the mfgsys.db file property size is 256 KB (262,144 bytes) I assume that the actual data is much larger there is 10 years of data in it.

I have been burdened with the task of switching software from the old vista by epicor to a new software E2 and at the point where I need to export some of that old data like customers / vendors and parts / descriptions into the new e2 . now that being said E2 will do the conversion I just some how have to get them the data.

Oh and thanks to everyone for their input  

Posted by Libor Laubacher on 25-Mar-2015 10:16

As it has been pointed out before

1)      Get a 4GL development license so you can dump it out

2)      Use binary dump (altho I have no idea what your target database is) and binary load.

3)      Convert the database to a new version (assuming E2 is using new, or rather more recent version of OE), maybe you have a proper license there

4)      Get someone who will dump it for you

[collapse]
Sent: Wednesday, March 25, 2015 3:57 PM
Subject: RE: [Technical Users - OE RDBMS] Exporting data from 91D

Reply by Cristinst

Unfortunately the software is no longer supported by the vendor

the mfgsys.db file property size is 256 KB (262,144 bytes) I assume that the actual data is much larger there is 10 years of data in it.

I have been burdened with the task of switching software from the old vista by epicor to a new software E2 and at the point where I need to export some of that old data like customers / vendors and parts / descriptions into the new e2 . now that being said E2 will do the conversion I just some how have to get them the data.

Oh and thanks to everyone for their input  

[/collapse]

Posted by S33 on 25-Mar-2015 10:23

The actual data is in file(s) that end with the letter "d" and a number, for example mfgsys.d1. You would have to add up those sizes to really no how much data you have (although it's probably not all that relevant).

This thread is closed