Unable to connect to the database with sysprogress through s

Posted by Valeriy Bashkatov on 17-Mar-2015 06:12

Hello,

OpenEdge: 10.1B (I know, very old :-) )
Databases: the same problem for both the client's database and sports2000.

I was faced with the following problem: unable to connect to the database with sysprogress through sqlexp.

Database is started. User SYSPROGRESS is created through Data Dictionary. But when connect to database through sqlexp with SYSPROGRESS then SQL Explorer does not start, instead return to the OS command line without any error messages (sqlexp.log and SQLExplorer.exceptions -  there is no any messages also).

At the same time I have no problem to connect to database by ODBC from MS Excel (through Microsoft Query) with this user.

I have no idea why this is happening and how to fix it to be able to connect via SQL Explorer.

Has anyone encountered a similar problem?

Regards,
Valeriy

Posted by Mohd Sayeed Akthar on 17-Mar-2015 12:12

Hi Valeriy,

I noticed that the password contains special character '@' and this is what is causing the problem. I can remember that we have fixed this issue in later versions of OE.

Can you try changing the password of sysprogress user such that it does not include '@'  and then try connecting through sqlexp?

Thanks,

Akthar.

All Replies

Posted by Valeriy Bashkatov on 17-Mar-2015 06:15

Small addition - another user, but without DBA rights , can connect to the database through sqlexp. This strange problem refers only for SYSPROGRESS.

Posted by Jyothi Sundaragiri on 17-Mar-2015 06:28

I have created a copy of sports2000 database and created a sysprogress user using a ABL procedure file.

Procedure file contains:

----------------------------------

RUN createSQLDBA.

MESSAGE "Finished adding SQL DBA user SYSPROGRESS.".

PROCEDURE createSQLDBA:

/* Create a user named sysprogress with SQL DBA privs */

CREATE _User.

ASSIGN

_User._Userid       = "sysprogress"

_User._Password     = encode("xxx")

_User._Domain-Name  = ""

_User._User-Name    = "sysprogress"

_User._Description  = "Password = xxx"

END PROCEDURE. /* createSQLDBA */

------------------------------------

--Created a database

prodb testdb sports2000

--Started the database

proserve testdb -S 2111

--Ran the procedure file that creates the sysprogress user

${PROEXE} -b -i -p ./addsqldba.p testdb > addsqdba.out

--SQLEXP connection succeeded

sqlexp -char  -db testdb -S 2111 -user sysprogress -password xxx

OpenEdge Release 11.6ALPHA as of Tue Mar 17 00:59:14 EDT 2015

Connecting user "sysprogress" to URL "jdbc:datadirect:openedge://localhost:2111;databaseName=testdb"... (8920)

SQLExplorer>

Please try creating the sysprogress user the procedure file above. we can change the password in the .p file accordingly.

Posted by Valeriy Bashkatov on 17-Mar-2015 06:46

What is the difference between creating sysprogress through the Data Dictionary and this program?

Posted by Jyothi Sundaragiri on 17-Mar-2015 07:05

I tried creating sysprogress user from Data Dictionary and tried connecting. The connection succeeded.

Posted by Valeriy Bashkatov on 17-Mar-2015 07:22

I believe you :-)   the way that you suggest is the easiest case, but it has nothing to do with my problem.

I have it works for another machine with the same version OpenEgde, but it does not work only for that machine. At the same time it's very strange situation, because another user, such as USER1, connected in the same place without any problems through SQL Explorer. And I suspect that there is some problem with the OpenEdge installation, or there is some setting that disables connect to the database with SYSPROGRESS user through SQL Explorer, or there is some other problem at the level of the operating system. But I don't know how to find this out.

Posted by Dileep Dasa on 17-Mar-2015 07:54

Are there any errors in database log file?

Posted by Paul Koufalis on 17-Mar-2015 08:09

I am unable to reproduce in later versions of Progress. The first thing I would suggest is to make sure the -user is case sensitive. I know it should not make a difference but who knows with 10.1B. The second thing I would try is SQuirreL since this is a JDBC tool like sqlexp.  The third thing I would try is to use the -driverURL syntax rather than the easy syntax like in your example. And finally I would see if adding -Djvmstart.debug=1 -DLogLevel=5 in sqlexp.bat provided any additional information.

Posted by Dileep Dasa on 17-Mar-2015 08:30

username is NOT case sensitive in 10.1B as well

Posted by Valeriy Bashkatov on 17-Mar-2015 09:20

Hi Paul,

[quote user="Paul Koufalis"]

The first thing I would suggest is to make sure the -user is case sensitive. I know it should not make a difference but who knows with 10.1B.

[/quote]

Not case sensitive, the result the same.

The second thing I would try is SQuirreL since this is a JDBC tool like sqlexp.

[/quote]

Downloaded, but did not understand how to configure it.

The third thing I would try is to use the -driverURL syntax rather than the easy syntax like in your example.

[/quote]

proenv> sqlexp -user sysprogress -password P@ssw0rd –url jdbc:datadirect:openedge://localhost:6789;databaseName=sports2000
OpenEdge Release 10.1B as of Wed Jan 10 12:21:31 EST 2007
Invalid arguments specified: jdbc:datadirect:openedge://localhost:6789
For additional help, type "sqlexp -help".

What I do wrong?

And finally I would see if adding -Djvmstart.debug=1 -DLogLevel=5 in sqlexp.bat provided any additional information.

[/quote]
   %JVMSTRT% -a "%TOOLSPROP%"::%TOOLSGRP% -o stderr -s -m silent "%JVM%" -DInstall.Dir="%DLC%" Djvmstart.debug=1 -DLogLevel=5 %PROSQLJVMARGS% %SQLEXPCLASS% %PARMS%
Right?

Posted by Valeriy Bashkatov on 17-Mar-2015 09:32

[quote user="Dileep Dasa"]

Are there any errors in database log file?

[/quote]
There are no suspicious messages in database log file

Posted by Paul Koufalis on 17-Mar-2015 09:33

With SQuirrel, you need to configure a new driver type and add a few JAR files to the CLASSPATH of that new driver you defined. Then you pick the com.ddtek.openedge.OpenEdgeDriver:

The cmd line syntax in 10.2B is with -driverUrl:

sqlexp -driverUrl "jdbc:datadirect:openedge://localhost:5000;databaseName=sports;User=sysprogress;Password=whatever"

Your JVMSTART lines looks about right but I did not try it.

Posted by Paul Koufalis on 17-Mar-2015 09:34

Oh - in 10.1B I think that there were more JARs required in the CLASSPATH. Check the KB: there was progress.jar, util.jar, tools.jar...

Posted by Mohd Sayeed Akthar on 17-Mar-2015 12:12

Hi Valeriy,

I noticed that the password contains special character '@' and this is what is causing the problem. I can remember that we have fixed this issue in later versions of OE.

Can you try changing the password of sysprogress user such that it does not include '@'  and then try connecting through sqlexp?

Thanks,

Akthar.

Posted by Valeriy Bashkatov on 18-Mar-2015 02:36

Hi Akthar,

It helped :) Thank you very much!

Many thanks to all for your help!

Ragards,

Valeriy

Posted by Dileep Dasa on 18-Mar-2015 04:06

Glad that you found answer. But, you said that it worked on another machine. Just curious to know if you have different password on that machine

Posted by Valeriy Bashkatov on 20-Mar-2015 07:25

[quote user="Dileep Dasa"]

Just curious to know if you have different password on that machine

[/quote]

Yes, there were different passwords

This thread is closed