Block layouts

Posted by Rob Fitzpatrick on 11-Mar-2015 17:12

A while back I was reading a document with diagrams of the layouts of RM and IX block headers.  Now for the life of me I can't locate it.  There is a similar diagram in the Database Essentials manual, but it's somewhat high-level.

Can anyone point me to such a diagram or schematic?  This is for Type II specifically.  Thanks.

Posted by Paul Koufalis on 11-Mar-2015 19:24

All Replies

Posted by Rob Fitzpatrick on 11-Mar-2015 22:27

Thanks Paul!

Posted by Rob Fitzpatrick on 11-Mar-2015 23:00

Just an update: it looks like the best way to view this data is with dbrpr option 13.  It gives quite a detailed breakdown.

Posted by Richard Banville on 12-Mar-2015 07:48

To get the most up to date information on block layouts I would use option 13 of dbrpr.  You can do this on a test database if you like.
It will show much more detailed information than what can be provided in a presentation.  Of course the presentations on the subject will have additional explanations than what is provided by dbrpr but dbrpr will always have the most up to date layout visualized.

Just curious, why do you feel you need this information?

[collapse]
From: Rob Fitzpatrick [mailto:bounce-robfsit@community.progress.com]
Sent: Wednesday, March 11, 2015 6:13 PM
To: TU.OE.RDBMS@community.progress.com
Subject: [Technical Users - OE RDBMS] Block layouts

Thread created by Rob Fitzpatrick

A while back I was reading a document with diagrams of the layouts of RM and IX block headers.  Now for the life of me I can't locate it.  There is a similar diagram in the Database Essentials manual, but it's somewhat high-level.

Can anyone point me to such a diagram or schematic?  This is for Type II specifically.  Thanks.

Stop receiving emails on this subject.

Flag this post as spam/abuse.

[/collapse]

Posted by Richard Banville on 12-Mar-2015 07:49

Just saw this after responding with pretty much the same.  Glad you discovered it .

[collapse]
From: Rob Fitzpatrick [mailto:bounce-robfsit@community.progress.com]
Sent: Thursday, March 12, 2015 12:02 AM
To: TU.OE.RDBMS@community.progress.com
Subject: RE: [Technical Users - OE RDBMS] Block layouts

Reply by Rob Fitzpatrick

Just an update: it looks like the best way to view this data is with dbrpr option 13.  It gives quite a detailed breakdown.

Stop receiving emails on this subject.

Flag this post as spam/abuse.

[/collapse]

Posted by Rob Fitzpatrick on 12-Mar-2015 13:59

Thanks Rich.  I don't "need" to know this information per se; it's a self-study exercise.  I find it interesting to know how things work under the covers.  

And I also find it useful for reasoning about RBP decisions to know exactly how much space is available in a block for record data as opposed to metadata.

This thread is closed