Veeam: yes or no?

Posted by James Palmer on 05-Mar-2015 10:37

We're in the process of upgrading our infrastructure and have been edged into the VMWare world. We've been having discussions around the use of Veeam for backups (initiated by the vendor, not us). Is it worth entertaining Veeam at all? We'd probably still want to do probkup for the actual databases, it's more the rest of the box configuration I guess... 

I'm aware that we would need to use freeze and thaw scripts (proquiet), but how long would the proquiet be active for? Is it just for the snap, or is it for the whole process? 

Any other comments?

All Replies

Posted by Paul Koufalis on 05-Mar-2015 10:41

You have a few options. The easiest would be to probkup online the DB and accept that the Veeam'd backup of the DB is not usable.  But the shell is so you could prorest on top of it.  Another option is not to backup the DB filesystem at all - just the probkup file. I would not bother with proquiet stuff but if you do, the freeze is typically a few seconds.  You have to grep out the message in the db.lg to know for certain that it's done.  There was an enhancement request some years ago to prevent proquiet from returning to the cmd line until the proquiet actually finished but I'm not sure if/when it was implemented.

Posted by James Palmer on 05-Mar-2015 10:46

Thanks Paul. I've read on page 19 of www.progress.com/.../Track%205%20-%20Getting%20the%20Most%20Out%20of%20Virtualization%20of%20Your%20Progress%20OpenEdge%20Environment_v1.pdf that taking the snaps willy nilly can cause db down. Is that a concern with Veeam?

Posted by Jeff Ledbetter on 05-Mar-2015 10:54

Trilead is an option as well. We use it and have been happy with it.

We back-up our db and filesystems as usual and then back up the entire VM periodically.

You definitely do NOT want to abuse snapshots.

Jeff Ledbetter

[collapse]
From: James Palmer [mailto:bounce-jdpjamesp@community.progress.com]
Sent: Thursday, March 5, 2015 10:38 AM
To: TU.OE.RDBMS@community.progress.com
Subject: [Technical Users - OE RDBMS] Veeam: yes or no?

Thread created by James Palmer

We're in the process of upgrading our infrastructure and have been edged into the VMWare world. We've been having discussions around the use of Veeam for backups (initiated by the vendor, not us). Is it worth entertaining Veeam at all? We'd probably still want to do probkup for the actual databases, it's more the rest of the box configuration I guess... 

I'm aware that we would need to use freeze and thaw scripts (proquiet), but how long would the proquiet be active for? Is it just for the snap, or is it for the whole process? 

Any other comments?

Stop receiving emails on this subject.

Flag this post as spam/abuse.

[/collapse]

Posted by Libor Laubacher on 05-Mar-2015 10:55

Yes that is true, about the willy nilly.

There is v2 of the <shameless plug> presentation : http://media.progress.com/exchange/2014/slides/track2_openedge-in-virtualized-environment.pdf </shameless plug> - actually I did a demo at the Exchange with VEEAM and the backup and proquiet and the scripts. The ‘freeze’ is in seconds.

As Paul said – you have few options:

1)      Use VEEAM w/ proquiet and the scripts – if you will be snapshotting the VM where the database is regardless, you have to use the pre/post freeze scripts

2)      Have another disk on the VM, set its type to independent (it’s by default  excluded from snapshots), have a database there and use probkup online to backup it up.

If you are going virtual, and will be using VEEAM as your backup solution for all your virtual infrastructure, step 1) might make more sense as it will be consistent across your environment.

With step 2) you have to remember, then when your VI Admin for whatever reason restores your VM, you would need to restore the database as well after.

[collapse]
From: James Palmer [mailto:bounce-jdpjamesp@community.progress.com]
Sent: Thursday, March 5, 2015 5:47 PM
To: TU.OE.RDBMS@community.progress.com
Subject: RE: [Technical Users - OE RDBMS] Veeam: yes or no?

Reply by James Palmer

Thanks Paul. I've read on page 19 of www.progress.com/.../Track%205%20-%20Getting%20the%20Most%20Out%20of%20Virtualization%20of%20Your%20Progress%20OpenEdge%20Environment_v1.pdf that taking the snaps willy nilly can cause db down. Is that a concern with Veeam?

Stop receiving emails on this subject.

Flag this post as spam/abuse.

[/collapse]

Posted by James Palmer on 06-Mar-2015 03:30

Thanks everyone - really helpful. I think the best bet for us is to have the databases and associated files on a disk that's not covered by Veeam. I will pass that on to the vendor.

This thread is closed