Error 1890 (Broker: Unable to spawn a server)

Posted by James Palmer on 24-Dec-2014 02:27

This one is actually a problem! Progress 11.2.1 on Windows 2003 Server. 

Getting error 1890 the last couple of days and I'm struggling to pin it down. They're on the server, and should therefore be self service connections. What should I look at? 

All Replies

Posted by Libor Laubacher on 24-Dec-2014 03:15

James,

1890 is for remote connections, self service goes directly.
Need more details – like .lg file, is there replication ?

/LL

[collapse]
From: James Palmer [mailto:bounce-jdpjamesp@community.progress.com]
Sent: Wednesday, December 24, 2014 9:28 AM
To: TU.OE.RDBMS@community.progress.com
Subject: [Technical Users - OE RDBMS] Error 1890 (Broker: Unable to spawn a server)

Thread created by James Palmer

This one is actually a problem! Progress 11.2.1 on Windows 2003 Server. 

Getting error 1890 the last couple of days and I'm struggling to pin it down. They're on the server, and should therefore be self service connections. What should I look at? 

Stop receiving emails on this subject.

Flag this post as spam/abuse.

[/collapse]

Posted by James Palmer on 24-Dec-2014 03:19

Yes running Replication Plus.

Can't find any remote connections on the server which is confusing me. It's all Self Service.

Posted by Libor Laubacher on 24-Dec-2014 03:22

My apologies for asking – what is the problem apart from the error ?
And can you post (you can email it to me) the db.lg file ?

[collapse]
Sent: Wednesday, December 24, 2014 10:20 AM
Subject: RE: [Technical Users - OE RDBMS] Error 1890 (Broker: Unable to spawn a server)

Reply by James Palmer

Yes running Replication Plus.

Can't find any remote connections on the server which is confusing me. It's all Self Service.

[/collapse]

Posted by James Palmer on 24-Dec-2014 03:22

Can't find anything pertinent in the log file for the main DB. Which suggests it's one of the others. Needle in a haystack job.

Posted by Libor Laubacher on 24-Dec-2014 03:25

Can I still have it please ?

[collapse]
Sent: Wednesday, December 24, 2014 10:24 AM
Subject: RE: [Technical Users - OE RDBMS] Error 1890 (Broker: Unable to spawn a server)

Reply by James Palmer

Can't find anything pertinent in the log file for the main DB. Which suggests it's one of the others. Needle in a haystack job.

[/collapse]

Posted by James Palmer on 24-Dec-2014 03:27

It's more a concern than anything else Libor. I'll monitor the situation.

We've been having some problems with our Replication Target - it dropped a disk and isn't happy. Getting all sorts of weird things on the source as a result. Ultimately I don't want to be working tomorrow so I'mdoing what I can to get to the bottom of it today! :)

Posted by James Palmer on 24-Dec-2014 03:28

[View:~/cfs-file.ashx/__key/communityserver-discussions-components-files/18/icmasliv.zip:550:0]

Posted by Libor Laubacher on 24-Dec-2014 03:47

I can’t see anything which would be related to 1890 error on the client.

Is the error being observed when connecting to source db or target ? The .lg is from target.

1890 is either when remote CS connects to db and there is no free remote server
Or you can get it when connecting to replication target running w/o agent or also on source under some special conditions (startup not completed, but I can’t see it here – granted I only had one coffee so far).

[collapse]
Sent: Wednesday, December 24, 2014 10:29 AM

[/collapse]

Posted by James Palmer on 24-Dec-2014 03:53

Thanks Libor. I'll leave it and see if it comes up again. It's not happened again so far today so fingers crossed.

Posted by James Palmer on 24-Dec-2014 03:54

The difficulty is that I can't work out what process is raising the error, therefore I don't know which DB it is trying to connect to. Much frustration.

Posted by Libor Laubacher on 24-Dec-2014 04:04

Get all the .lg files, one will show the issue J

[collapse]
Sent: Wednesday, December 24, 2014 10:55 AM

Reply by James Palmer

The difficulty is that I can't work out what process is raising the error, therefore I don't know which DB it is trying to connect to. Much frustration.

[/collapse]

Posted by James Palmer on 24-Dec-2014 04:26

Would you expect to see error 1890 itself in a log file? If so then I can probably grep for it.

Posted by Libor Laubacher on 24-Dec-2014 04:31

It’s a client error, there is a corresponding database message in the .lg file for it, but depends on the event.

Just note a time of the error and get all the .lg file your app can connect to. We’ll find it.

[collapse]
Sent: Wednesday, December 24, 2014 11:27 AM

Reply by James Palmer

Would you expect to see error 1890 itself in a log file? If so then I can probably grep for it.

[/collapse]

Posted by James Palmer on 24-Dec-2014 04:37

Unfortunately I can only narrow it down to sometime after 9pm yesterday and sometime before 8:30am today. I've attached the logs for the most likely candidates for the error. If it's not in any of those then I really don't care ;) [View:~/cfs-file.ashx/__key/communityserver-discussions-components-files/18/logs.zip:550:0]

Posted by Libor Laubacher on 24-Dec-2014 04:58

Just a question - these are all source database log files – your application never connects to target side ?

[collapse]
Sent: Wednesday, December 24, 2014 11:38 AM

Reply by James Palmer

Unfortunately I can only narrow it down to sometime after 9pm yesterday and sometime before 8:30am today. I've attached the logs for the most likely candidates for the error. If it's not in any of those then I really don't care ;) logs.zip

[/collapse]

Posted by James Palmer on 24-Dec-2014 05:12

Not as far as I know. The errors themselves were on the source server screen and I don't know of any process running on the source server that connects client/server let alone any that connect to the repl target.

Posted by James Palmer on 24-Dec-2014 05:12

I can get the repl target logs too if you like?

This thread is closed