OpenEdge activity monitoring tools

Posted by stevelohse on 16-Dec-2014 18:26

Hi,

Are there any utilities to analyse a particular agent? Most of the time our application performs well, but occasionally one of the _proapsv.exe processes will grab 100% CPU for around 45 seconds or so. Our app server has timeout set to 30 seconds so users get a timeout message after 30 seconds. I can't see anything useful in any of the logs. I suspect there is a locking/wait issue. PROMON gives me useful server-wide info but I really need to target the specific process to find out what the CPU is being used for. The application was developed by a third party so I don't have access to any code. BTW, the vendor says there is nothing wrong with the App :)

Any help appreciated.

All Replies

Posted by Paul Koufalis on 16-Dec-2014 18:56

dbappraise.com/protop.html will give you everything you want and more if you are on a recent version of Progress.  

You can zero in on that particular user and you'll see what query it is running (if Statement Cache is enabled), what tables and indexes it is hitting and how much I/O it is doing.

Use promon to enable Statement Caching. If you see it persisting across samples then you probably have found your culprit.

Paul

Posted by stevelohse on 16-Dec-2014 20:13

Thanks for your response.

When ProTop starts I get "Insufficient access privilege for table _Db. (234)"

Followed by "D:\protop\lib\vstlib.p Could not understand line 80. (196)"

Do I need to run it as a privileged user? Or do I need to perform some setup?

Posted by ChUIMonster on 17-Dec-2014 07:24

What version of Progress and which version of Protop?

Has someone put access controls on _* tables?  (CAN-READ et al?)  If they have then you will need user credentials with appropriate access.  FWIW it is unusual to put those sorts of controls on _* tables.

Another possibility is that the database has been upgraded and converted from older versions and you need to run "proutil dbName -C updatevst"

On 12/16/14, 9:13 PM, stevelohse wrote:
Reply by stevelohse

Thanks for your response.

When ProTop starts I get "Insufficient access privilege for table _Db. (234)"

Followed by "D:\protop\lib\vstlib.p Could not understand line 80. (196)"

Do I need to run it as a privileged user? Or do I need to perform some setup?

Stop receiving emails on this subject.

Flag this post as spam/abuse.

-- 
Tom Bascom
603 396 4886
tom@greenfieldtech.com

This thread is closed