4Gb size limits of a Procedure Library (.pl) file

Posted by Valeriy Bashkatov on 30-Oct-2014 03:05

Hello,

The knowledge base is said that, the theoretical library size can be larger than 4GB on 64-bit environment.

The PROLIB utility and the AVM use 64-bit offsets when accessing procedure library files, so in theory they can be very large. 64-bit addressing allows creation of files larger than 4GB.

But one of my clients still has limitations (OE 10.2B08, Linux 64-bit).

Cannot add rsrvrep.r to r-code library.  Library offset exceeds 4 gigabytes.

-rw-rw-r--. 1 root root 4.1G Oct 29 18:21 test.pl

I would like to ask, what else affects on the maximum size of the library in 64-bit environment?

Regards,
Valeriy

Posted by Ken McIntosh on 30-Oct-2014 07:48

Hi,

What the article indicated was theoretically true in the context it was written, however at that time the article author was unaware that there were hard-coded restrictions to the file size prior to 11.0.  These restrictions were removed in 11.0.  

I will change the knowledgebase article to omit releases prior to 11.0.

Cheers,

Ken Mc

All Replies

Posted by Ken McIntosh on 30-Oct-2014 07:48

Hi,

What the article indicated was theoretically true in the context it was written, however at that time the article author was unaware that there were hard-coded restrictions to the file size prior to 11.0.  These restrictions were removed in 11.0.  

I will change the knowledgebase article to omit releases prior to 11.0.

Cheers,

Ken Mc

Posted by Valeriy Bashkatov on 30-Oct-2014 08:10

Hi Ken,

Thank you!

Regards,

Valeriy

Posted by TheMadDBA on 30-Oct-2014 10:25

I almost hate to ask... but how in the world did they end up with a 4 GB procedure library file?

Posted by jmls on 30-Oct-2014 10:28

perhaps they bundled the db in as well :)

[collapse]
On 30 October 2014 15:26, TheMadDBA <bounce-TheMadDBA@community.progress.com> wrote:
Reply by TheMadDBA

I almost hate to ask... but how in the world did they end up with a 4 GB procedure library file?

Stop receiving emails on this subject.

Flag this post as spam/abuse.

--
Julian Lyndon-Smith
IT Director,
dot.r
http://www.dotr.com
[/collapse]

Posted by James Palmer on 30-Oct-2014 10:29

Precisely my thoughts! Glad you voiced them.

This thread is closed