ODBC connection to database in the cloud

Posted by Richard.Kelters on 28-Aug-2014 04:13

Hi,

Our customer runs an application in the cloud on centOS version 11.3 64-bit. They've bought a windows reporting tool that needs to connect their database through/with odbc from a local workstation.

I presume they need some odbc driver but I've no idea what is needed for the client and server or how to set up the connection in a way that does not give the world access to their database in the cloud.

What would you advice?

Richard

All Replies

Posted by Paul Koufalis on 28-Aug-2014 07:24

The ODBC driver part is easy. Just download it from the Progress ESD site. Your customer will need an account so he may have to go through his software vendor.

The second part is probably most easily accomplished by setting up a VPN tunnel between the customer and the cloud DB. In Amazon-speak that would be a VPC.

Posted by Richard.Kelters on 28-Aug-2014 10:57

The ODBC driver only needs te be installed on the client thus nothing on the database server itself? If so, it might be easier then I thought.

Posted by Paul Koufalis on 28-Aug-2014 11:01

Yes. But you need to setup the DB to allow SQL conx without affecting ABL users AND you need to do the GRANTs.

Posted by Thomas Mercer-Hursh on 28-Aug-2014 11:21

The setup of the server side is the same you would do for local SQL access.  Yes?

Posted by Paul Koufalis on 28-Aug-2014 11:27

Yes TMH.

Posted by Thomas Mercer-Hursh on 28-Aug-2014 11:38

Good to confirm by a more authoritative source!

Posted by Richard.Kelters on 28-Aug-2014 14:00

I could not agree with you more TMH

Posted by Richard.Kelters on 08-Sep-2014 14:53

I was wondering if a connection could be made using a SSH tunnel as provided by Putty?

This thread is closed