database does not re-register to adminserver

Posted by a.noteboom on 18-Aug-2014 05:33

I'm upgrading all our databases to 11.3.2 (windows) The problem is that when the adminserver has a java out of memory issue, i have to restart the adminservice with the -keepservers option. After that all database are running unmanaged. I was hoping that the databases would reregister themself with the adminservice, but that doesn't happen. Is there a way to force a re-register? Or is there a parameter that influences this re-registering? The real problem ofcourse is the adminservice running out of memory. I'm hoping the serviceack 11.3.3 brings some stability. (I have oem installed.)

All Replies

Posted by Paul Koufalis on 18-Aug-2014 07:23

Did you increase -Xmx in AdminSeverplugin.properties? This is a must for OEM and the more resources you monitor the higher it should be. 1024m is a good start.

Posted by Matt Baker on 18-Aug-2014 08:19

Please talk to tech support and make sure you have the hotfix for PSC00285790 for 11.3.2.   In the meantime you can edit $DLC/properties/management.properties and set allowDiscovery = false.  There is a memory leak that has been present forever that only occurs due to a race which can be triggered by the internal eventing caused by this feature.  This won't fix the issue, but it normally alleviates it until you can install the hotfix.

Posted by Matt Baker on 18-Aug-2014 08:24

And do increase the default memory size as suggested by Paul, since the defaults are fairly conservative

Posted by a.noteboom on 18-Aug-2014 09:39

I had the allowdiscovery already set to false, and increased the memory size.   I’ll increase that some more to see how long I can keep away the errors.

Maybe I can keep this java memory problem under control with this specific error, but I had my share of adminservice problems in the past,
and I hoped that the -keepservers option gave me a save way to get the adminservice working again on production servers.

But if the databases don’t re-register, I still have to schedule downtime to get them running managed again.

Van: Matt Baker [mailto:bounce-mbaker@community.progress.com]
Verzonden: maandag 18 augustus 2014 15:20
Aan: TU.OE.RDBMS@community.progress.com
Onderwerp: RE: [Technical Users - OE RDBMS] database does not re-register to adminserver

Reply by Matt Baker

Please talk to tech support and make sure you have the hotfix for PSC00285790 for 11.3.2.   In the meantime you can edit $DLC/properties/management.properties and set allowDiscovery = false.  This won't fix the issue without the hotfix, but it normally alleviates it until you can install the hotfix.

Stop receiving emails on this subject.

Flag this post as spam/abuse.

Posted by Ruanne Cluer on 19-Aug-2014 03:23

FYI: the "-keepservers option" is for stopping the adminserver not starting it

it's to allow any ubrokers currently running to remain running when the adminserver is stopped:

proadsv -stop -keepservers

Then re-register (the same way databases 'should' do) when the adminserver is restarted.

You mention that the databases don't re-register, what about the running ubrokers .. do they remain running and re-register when the adminserver is restarted?

Once you have the HF mentioned above, let the support engineer know if the problem persists.

Posted by a.noteboom on 19-Aug-2014 06:38

I just did a retest.   The ubrokers do re-register, the databases do not.

I’ll start a support call for this.
Van: Ruanne Cluer [mailto:bounce-rcluer@community.progress.com]
Verzonden: dinsdag 19 augustus 2014 10:23
Aan: TU.OE.RDBMS@community.progress.com
Onderwerp: RE: [Technical Users - OE RDBMS] database does not re-register to adminserver

Reply by Ruanne Cluer

FYI: the "-keepservers option" is for stopping the adminserver not starting it

it's to allow any ubrokers currently running to remain running when the adminserver is stopped:

proadsv -stop -keepservers

Then re-register (the same way databases 'should' do) when the adminserver is restarted.

You mention that the databases don't re-register, what about the running ubrokers .. do they remain running and re-register when the adminserver is restarted?

Once you have the HF mentioned above, let the support engineer know if the problem persists.

Stop receiving emails on this subject.

Flag this post as spam/abuse.

This thread is closed