What are the new _Partition-Set and _Partition-Set-Detail ta

Posted by randallkharp on 18-Jun-2014 23:21

I need to know what data needs to be dumped and loaded to save and restore Partition Policies. A couple of ESAP drops ago, I believe that there were only _Partition-Policy and _Partition-Policy-Detail tables. How are the _Partition-Set and _Partition-Set-Detail tables used?

Posted by meehan on 19-Jun-2014 11:55

Those 2 are only for Multi-tenant groups.

There are 2 new tables, _partition-policy and _partition-policy-detail, that are for 11.4 Table Partitioning.
They are created when you do 'proutil db –C enabletablepartitioning'

Posted by Håvard Danielsen on 19-Jun-2014 11:59

The  _Partition-Policy and _Partition-Policy-Detail tables store the partition policy definitions and can be dumped and loaded as .d files.  Note that this does not include the physical allocation of partitions, which are stored in the  _StorageObject with one record for the table and each index and lob field.  The _StorageObject records will be created based on the  default allocation rule and default areas of the loaded  _Partition-policy-detail  

The corresponding DataAdmin API interfaces, IPartitionPolicy and IPartitionPolicyDetail, have ExportTree and ImportTree methods that export and import the data as json and can also include the physical partitions. One benefit of using the API is that you can dump and load subset of data and that the load can be done in one transaction. The drawback of these methods is that there is no code page support.          

Another way to store(backup) and load the policies is to use the option to generate a partition policy as code and then run the code to load the policies.  

All Replies

Posted by Jyothi Sundaragiri on 19-Jun-2014 01:37

These two tables are used for Multi Tenant Groups.

Posted by randallkharp on 19-Jun-2014 11:39

Yes, I noticed the description in the tables, but do these tables have anything to do with table partitioning on field values, or are they used strictly for grouping of tenants in a multi-tenant configuration?

Posted by meehan on 19-Jun-2014 11:55

Those 2 are only for Multi-tenant groups.

There are 2 new tables, _partition-policy and _partition-policy-detail, that are for 11.4 Table Partitioning.
They are created when you do 'proutil db –C enabletablepartitioning'

Posted by Håvard Danielsen on 19-Jun-2014 11:59

The  _Partition-Policy and _Partition-Policy-Detail tables store the partition policy definitions and can be dumped and loaded as .d files.  Note that this does not include the physical allocation of partitions, which are stored in the  _StorageObject with one record for the table and each index and lob field.  The _StorageObject records will be created based on the  default allocation rule and default areas of the loaded  _Partition-policy-detail  

The corresponding DataAdmin API interfaces, IPartitionPolicy and IPartitionPolicyDetail, have ExportTree and ImportTree methods that export and import the data as json and can also include the physical partitions. One benefit of using the API is that you can dump and load subset of data and that the load can be done in one transaction. The drawback of these methods is that there is no code page support.          

Another way to store(backup) and load the policies is to use the option to generate a partition policy as code and then run the code to load the policies.  

Posted by Håvard Danielsen on 19-Jun-2014 12:16

>> The drawback of these methods is that there is no code page support.    

Note that the classes use the ABL's json support which uses UTF-8, so this should in theory not be a problem.

Posted by randallkharp on 19-Jun-2014 13:19

Thanks for the detailed response. I also noticed the new APIs. It's good to know that I still have a pretty good understanding of table partitioning. The other table names (_Partition-Set and _Partition-Set-Detail) had me thinking that there was now another layer to Table Partitioning that I needed to catch up on.

Posted by randallkharp on 19-Jun-2014 13:22

"Those 2 are only for Multi-tenant groups"

Thanks. The presence of the word "Partition" in the other table names (_Partition-Set and _Partition-Set-Detail) had me thinking that they had something to do with Table Partitioning. Apparently, it's another kind of partition (?).

Posted by gus on 19-Jun-2014 13:31

On 6/19/14 2:23 PM, "randallkharp"
wrote:

>Apparently, it's another kind of partition (?).

correct.

multitenant table partitions are based on owning tenant's identity

11.4 table partitions are based on values present in the data

--
regards, gus
alien developer, progress software

"Culture eats strategy for breakfast." -- Peter Drucker

This thread is closed