Enable LargeFiles and UpdateVSTs

Posted by Nigel Allen on 05-Jun-2014 01:03

Greetings

We're about to (finally) enable large files on a rather large database (yes, I know).

This database (which is the production db) is currently duplicated by

• Taking it's ai files and rolling them forward to another hot stand by as and when they are ready and
  • Taking a broken mirror copy to a reporting database.

I'm guessing the broken mirror doesn't matter as it's replaced, but does anyone know if the target hot-standby needs to also have large files enabled and if so, in what order should the databases be tackled?

Same question also for proutil dbname –C updatevsts. Does the order in which they are done make any difference please?

Thanks muchly

N/

All Replies

Posted by Rob Fitzpatrick on 05-Jun-2014 06:04

Proutil updatevst only *needs* to be run if you want to access the new or changed VSTs, and it must be run offline.  I run updatevst and updateschema with each install of a new version or SP as that requires downtime anyway.  Be sure to back up your DBs beforehand.

Enabling large file support on prod doesn't require you to do so at the same time on your hot spare.  You'll still be doing the same thing as before, rolling forward AI extents.  But there's no reason not to enable it in every DB that you will always open with an Enterprise license.

Posted by Nigel Allen on 05-Jun-2014 16:53

Thanks Rob.

My main concern is whether or not it makes any difference which database has the updatevst run against it first.

If I run updatevst on the production database and then try to roll forward the ai files from that to the hot standby, is it going to complain or am I better to run it aginst both of them in between rolling forward the ai logs aginst the standby?

N/

Posted by Paul Koufalis on 05-Jun-2014 19:30

As of 10.2B0x you can run updatevst against a DB that is enabled for OE Replication.  I would think that this automatically means that it's ok for AI roll forwards.

Or maybe Nigel could take 5 minutes and test it with the sports db.  There's an idea...oh...and report back with the results too.  That's important.

:-)

Paul

Posted by Nigel Allen on 05-Jun-2014 19:56

Tout le monde veut être un comédien

Posted by Paul Koufalis on 05-Jun-2014 20:01

A Brit living in Australia speaking French.  Let's see what Jean Richert has to say about that.

Posted by Nigel Allen on 05-Jun-2014 20:50

{grin}

This thread is closed