client connection

Posted by aaravindhantj on 06-May-2014 07:06

sir

i set up start up parameter and client connection parameter in progress database and started the database.

but do i have to write a batch file or script defining the host name, port number ,db name and etc and place it in client machine  so that the client can click and run so that he can establish the connection with the database .

is this right pls explain the syntax and script

thank u so much

All Replies

Posted by ChUIMonster on 06-May-2014 07:54

You mention "batch file" so presumably these are Windows clients.

Yes, the client needs to know those things.  There are multiple ways to feed that information to the client.  If you have a shortcut on the desktop you could just put the parameters on the command line.  But it is generally more maintainable to put them in a .pf file (as an example "client.pf") and use "-pf client.pf" in your startup command.  That way you can change the parameters easily without having to revisit all of the shortcuts.

Likewise, you could use a .BAT file and put the parameters on the command line inside of that.  It is still often helpful to use a .pf file.

Or you can use a .INI file for many settings.  (I don't do that so I have little to say about it...)

This thread is closed